• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suprise...

CazandCo

Alpha Buck
Hello all,

I had a bit of a shock this morning, I went out to put all the covers up ready to feed them all. Poppy was a bit off, and there was fur in the main area of her hutch (not that strange). But I looked in her bed bit and am sure you've guessed it, she has had some babies. Now I never keep them together, they all have an individual hutch so I know I haven't let them meet up. I have been working out how long ago she must have been with George, it falls on the week they were staying at the cattery in individual pens. I think he might have got to her through the cages, they were in pens next to each other. Is it possible they can have made that kind of contact?

Anyways, here i am now with a bunny mummy i don't know how many there are in the nest i will leave it a few days to try get a better look. As a child i had a litter of accidental kits but the mother died during birth and the babies didn't last long even though we cared for them full time. I guess i am just scared in case anything happens to my poppy and/or the babies :shock:

it would be extremely unlikely that they could mate through the wire..are you sure they haven't been togther at all
what dates were they in the cattery?
maybe check they didn't let them together
hope babies are ok

ETA seen it was Christmas so she didn't get pregnant there too long ago :?
Shame as you were planning on getting her speyed a while ago

Last edited:
I went away at Christmas, but also went away with work 14th Jan for the week. I will be calling in this week to the cattery so will ask if there was a chance at all?

Don't you have another female rabbit? I hope she's not pregnant either :(

and that is really awful that the cattery let your rabbits mix! You should phone up and ask then complain. How would they even mix anyway?

Very sad..more crossbreed babies looking for homes when rescues are full :(
if the cattery did let them together I'd ask for compensation to get them all neutered
Hope Mum is ok and she can cope with the babies ok

sadly keeping unpayed , un neutered bunnies near each other is always open to mistakes happening ..

you may have not put them together ... but has someone else? I doubt it coud have happed through mesh ... but hey ..I dont know everything .. :?

hope they are all ok ... would be a good idea to get the boy neutered asap to prevent another mistake .

George is booked in to be spayed on the 1st March, I couldn't afford it this month.

Mirth

Don't you have another female rabbit? I hope she's not pregnant either
Thankfully not, well not at the moment but i will be keeping an even closer eye on her just in case.

I will let you know more once i have spoken to the cattery, thank you for your responses

If she has got pregnant through some mesh I will eat my hat!

Sorry but someone has let em get together. Maybe it was just meant as a quick get to know each other but those rabbits have definitely been put together.

There is no physical way any rabbit/rodent/cat/dog can breed through the mesh, they can to be in a certain position to perform which is crouched over.

Edit: just checking the dates, it would have to be around the 14th jan for the mating to have happened (give or take a day) so over Christmas would be far too long for pregnancy as it's about 30 odd days for pregnancy.

Edit: just checking the dates, it would have to be around the 14th jan for the mating to have happened (give or take a day) so over Christmas would be far too long for pregnancy as it's about 30 odd days for pregnancy.

I have said in an earlier post that they were also away in the cattery for W/C 14th Jan, i went away with work and my partner doesn't want anything to do with the rabbits.
Snowberry

If she has got pregnant through some mesh I will eat my hat!

Sorry but someone has let em get together. Maybe it was just meant as a quick get to know each other but those rabbits have definitely been put together.
I know this, i am just shocked as it wasn't expected

I have said in an earlier post that they were also away in the cattery for W/C 14th Jan, i went away with work and my partner doesn't want anything to do with the rabbits.

Ah I did see 14th jan mentioned which is why I thought I would say it's likely to have been then while you were at work, wasn't sure if that meant they were at the cattery too.

Sorry this has happened to you, id definately speak to the cattery as soon as you can.

Hope the babies are doing ok? Is mum feeding them ok? Do you have any concerns?

Ah I did see 14th jan mentioned which is why I thought I would say it's likely to have been then while you were at work, wasn't sure if that meant they were at the cattery too.

Sorry if i sounded a bit dumb, am shocked its happened but also a little excited. Already today i have spoken with my boss and her daughters would love to give two bunnies a home once they are bigger. I have said they have to be sure and such, they are going to confirm over the weekend. But obviously they wont be going anywhere just yet.

Sorry if i sounded a bit dumb, am shocked its happened but also a little excited. Already today i have spoken with my boss and her daughters would love to give two bunnies a home once they are bigger. I have said they have to be sure and such, they are going to confirm over the weekend. But obviously they wont be going anywhere just yet.

just a word of warning ..people say they will have them but then dont so be prepared
Also have them neutered before homing or the next owners could be facing the same problem..ask the new owners to pay to cover cost.
if a new owner cannot afford neutering then they shouldn't have the pet in the first place as too many accidental pets being born:cry: so explain this if they query cost :D

just a word of warning ..people say they will have them but then dont so be prepared
Also have them neutered before homing or the next owners could be facing the same problem..ask the new owners to pay to cover cost.
if a new owner cannot afford neutering then they shouldn't have the pet in the first place as too many accidental pets being born:cry: so explain this if they query cost :D

Good idea

It does sound like it happened on the 14th, I'd definitely complain to the cattery if you're 100% sure it couldn't of happened at home, and I'd demand money from them for the upkeep of the babies or the cost of fixing/vaccinating them all. Really rant at them, if I were you I'd write a long complaints letter, I'm sure people on here would help

Not only has their stupidity lead to more rabbits being brought into the world and an unexpecting owner having to care for them, but if they let the rabbits interact all sorts of diseases could be spread between them. Very irresponsible

Thank you all for your support, mum seems very content and relaxed and the babies are wriggling away under her fur. It's a cold night here, but I have added the snuggle safe and extra straw and hay.

Night:)

Back