• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Have any of your rabbits had symptoms like these?

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all
Noel was poorly Xmas eve...he had his eyes half closed, ears were hot, was eating but not really bothered about food. It looked like he had a headache.
We took him to the vet who injected anti biotics into him and he picked up within an hour.
This Saturday he had exactly the same symptoms do I gave him Septrim anti biotics. He packed up within an hour and is back to normal now. Any ideas?
I've called the vet for advice so he's gonna call me tomorrow. I've also booked Noel in for an appointment tomorrow night as vet isn't working next week. He seems fine now. Am I being over the top? Thank you x

Hi all
Noel was poorly Xmas eve...he had his eyes half closed, ears were hot, was eating but not really bothered about food. It looked like he had a headache.
We took him to the vet who injected anti biotics into him and he picked up within an hour.
This Saturday he had exactly the same symptoms do I gave him Septrim anti biotics. He packed up within an hour and is back to normal now. Any ideas?
I've called the vet for advice so he's gonna call me tomorrow. I've also booked Noel in for an appointment tomorrow night as vet isn't working next week. He seems fine now. Am I being over the top? Thank you x

Antibiotics are often given when a vet doesn't know what is wrong. If a bunny acts in pain it needs pain relief and if they are not eating, gut stimulants. Were his guts listened to? Has he had his teeth checked recently?

I would never give antibiotics unless I knew what it was that was wrong or on a reliable vet's advice as it can upset their tummy further.

Did he just get one injection. Usually a course is need to fully kill an infection, otherwise it just knocks the bacteria back a bit but doesn't kill it, so it re- multiplies and causes a re-infection later on.

He just had the one injection and the vet said it would last 5 days. He thought Noel had an infection because his ears were hot. He was eating but just not wolfing it down. He was pooping as well. Gut felt ok vet said.
I didn't get him checked on Saturday as he picked up after the anti biotics I gave him. I

He just had the one injection and the vet said it would last 5 days. He thought Noel had an infection because his ears were hot. He was eating but just not wolfing it down. He was pooping as well. Gut felt ok vet said.
I didn't get him checked on Saturday as he picked up after the anti biotics I gave him. I

Warm ears can mean infection but it can also mean a lot of other things. I would have expected the vet to give pain relief and gut stimulants as well. If he is still acting ill then I would suggest finding a better vet and getting a checkup on him. If he stops eating at any point he will need a vet immediately.

It could be gas, this can cause pain, lethargy and reduced intake of food and often passes in a few hours but it can cause a bun to go into stasis.

What does his diet consist of on a daily basis?

As I keep trying to explain, both on the Forum and via PM, one dose of antibiotic will not do anything re treating an active bacterial infection.

It sounds as though it might be a good idea to seek out a Vet who is prepared to try to diagnose the actual problem as simply giving a dose of antibiotic here and there as a 'one off' will lead to antibiotic resistance and a whole heap of trouble for your Rabbit :cry:

His diet consists of unlimited hay and half an egg cupful of science selective pellets.

I have made an appointment today and also got the vet calling me before to discuss whether I need to bring him in or not.

He is fine now so could have been gas which passed perhaps? Just wondered whether I was being Ott taking him when he seems fine now.

His diet consists of unlimited hay and half an egg cupful of science selective pellets.

I have made an appointment today and also got the vet calling me before to discuss whether I need to bring him in or not.

He is fine now so could have been gas which passed perhaps? Just wondered whether I was being Ott taking him when he seems fine now.

If a bun looks even slightly "off" they need a vet so you weren't OTT. Rabbits, as I'm sure you know, hide their pain/illnesses very well and often by the time they look really poorly they really are seriously ill. You can post in "Rabbit Chat" asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area and next time he looks poorly then pop him to see the better vet.

Back