• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To Many People 24 Rabbits Probably Seems Like a Vast Amount

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
But to me it is not, it seems as though my Family is diminishing before my eyes. I know it is going to be an ongoing issue in the near future,

I feel so dreadfully low

:cry:

*hugs* i know it must be really hard. they are so much a part of the family and the bonds you have with them are so special so i do understand :(
im not very good with words but i didnt want to read and run *wave*

I sort of know how you feel. We went down to our lowest in years a few months ago, 21 rabbits. We now have gone back up to 28 ( more than we would like ) but the house still feels empty :( I think its more to do with personalities than numbers and when some of those big personalities are gone no number of bunnies can replace them :cry:

I'm so sorry Jane. :cry: It is awful to watch your family members get old, infirm and eventually die. :cry: The only thing you can do is consider every day that you spend with them a blessing (also give Morse a cuddle). I don't know what else to say. *Hugs*

My thing is my cats, I have 4 and love them all dearly. When I loose one its heartbreaking. The hierachy of the remaining cats changes and somehow the house feels emptier even though theres still 3.

Then when I feel able I go and adopt another needy cat, then I go through the delight of a new cat, the hassles of intergrating and the total guilt of 'replacing'.

Its about 15 months since I sadly lost my Mitzi at 19 yrs of age. Even now I expect to see her or hear her creaky meiow.

I have one cat on daily meds and one cat that I need to keep an eye on. I do a head count morning and night and panic if theres one missing. When they need the vets my world falls apart. Everything else in my life becomes lower down the pecking order while I sort out my cat. The same applies if one of my rabbits is ill.

My husband has got to the point where he says he would have a pet free home. This is based purely on the fact that at some point you loose them. He then has to stay strong for me while I fall to pieces.

All I can say is that I love my animals unconditionally, I do what I think is the best I can for them, they give me huge pleasure and yes it is awful when that sad day comes but not awful enough to stop me having them.

Huge hugs to you Jane, I think of you as a remarkable lady with a real passion and understanding for your rabbits.

You're down to 24 now? Blimey. I know what you mean though, I'm down to 12 now.. It's strange when you're used to big numbers but less work and less cost has its advantages.

I'm sorry you're feeling down :( But the buns you have love you dearly, enjoy every minute with them.

Oh Jane its horrible isnt it,i cry everyday knowing that very soon ill have to help toffee to the bridge It breaks my heart to think he wont be in the garden with his son in the summer,i wish i was strong but im not.
I understand how u feel,it seems so unfair dosnt it
Thinkin of you hun sending hugs x

each and everyone is precious and missed - and even with what seems like a 'lot' to many people I know how just one - or two- leaving feels like a huge gap.

I only joined two years ago but I remember them well. More recently you have lost Sir Victor, Murphy, John Boy, Aisling, Cerys and now Hal. :cry::cry: All wonderful beautiful bunnies and all very much loved and cared for by you.

Sadly their lives are short but you have made that difference to their lives. You gave them everything they needed and more. I hope in time your pain is not so severe you can look back and know what a difference you made and your memories are not so painful.

My thing is my cats, I have 4 and love them all dearly. When I loose one its heartbreaking. The hierachy of the remaining cats changes and somehow the house feels emptier even though theres still 3.

Then when I feel able I go and adopt another needy cat, then I go through the delight of a new cat, the hassles of intergrating and the total guilt of 'replacing'.

Its about 15 months since I sadly lost my Mitzi at 19 yrs of age. Even now I expect to see her or hear her creaky meiow.

I have one cat on daily meds and one cat that I need to keep an eye on. I do a head count morning and night and panic if theres one missing. When they need the vets my world falls apart. Everything else in my life becomes lower down the pecking order while I sort out my cat. The same applies if one of my rabbits is ill.

My husband has got to the point where he says he would have a pet free home. This is based purely on the fact that at some point you loose them. He then has to stay strong for me while I fall to pieces.

All I can say is that I love my animals unconditionally, I do what I think is the best I can for them, they give me huge pleasure and yes it is awful when that sad day comes but not awful enough to stop me having them.

Huge hugs to you Jane, I think of you as a remarkable lady with a real passion and understanding for your rabbits.

You are living my life, continents away. Right down to a bridge cat named Mitzi and the head counts and the OH who is unable to bear another loss.

It doesn't matter how many leave, or what we have to go through while they are still with us, each one takes that special place they occupied with them. And you think you have no more room in your heart and yet you find it anyway. And the thought of all being gone is unthinkable.
When they are your whole life each and every day and all you do is for them, the thought of having less to care for is not a relief. It's frightening. :(

I could not personally take care of 24 rabbits as 24 of any animal would be too much for me to handle on my own. I am continually amazed at the work you do with your bunnies, Jane. It's wonderful! :)

Jane the more bunnies you lose the more I worry about you. :cry: I know the bunnies are your reason for living. Hope you are okay. The 24 bunnies still need you so please take care of yourself. Much love and hugs.

:cry::cry::cry: (((hugs))) It's hard watching anyone you love getting older and knowing the time you have left is short and precious. It doesn't matter if you have 2 buns or 222, it still hurts the same.

I keep telling Gypsy and Storm that they have to live forever! I just couldn't take the heartbreak. I don't know how you do it :(

Thinking Of you

Xxxx

I hate seeing an empty hutch twice a day when I go out to feed the buns. I've gone from 11 to 9 rabbits and from 9 to 5 cats but until I find a permanent job and clear my huge overdraft there is no way I can increase my furry family.

I do board and bond for other people though and I find this helps as I am still making a difference to bunnies. The money helps towards my vet bills too - my cats and buns seem to have a rota for being poorly.

Would you be able to foster at all Jane once your bunny numbers diminish significantly? You would make an absolutely fantastic fosterer.

I hate seeing an empty hutch twice a day when I go out to feed the buns. I've gone from 11 to 9 rabbits and from 9 to 5 cats but until I find a permanent job and clear my huge overdraft there is no way I can increase my furry family.

I do board and bond for other people though and I find this helps as I am still making a difference to bunnies. The money helps towards my vet bills too - my cats and buns seem to have a rota for being poorly.

Would you be able to foster at all Jane once your bunny numbers diminish significantly? You would make an absolutely fantastic fosterer.

Unfortunately not

Wow what a great idea. I guess you will get attached to the foster buns though but at least you know they are going to another good home.

24 does seems a lot to me but you are giving 24 bunnies a happy home. I don't know how you do it, Doughnut seems to take up a lot of my time when I'm not working.

Lots of hugs for you. I hope you can see how fulfilled you've made those bunnies lives. I always think I wish Doughnut could live forever but then think who would look after her if I wasn't here. I can't believe anyone could love her more, just like your rabbits.

Back