• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help re. long term fostering!

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the forum (and kind of to rabbits) in need of some advice so I hope you can help out! I've got two lovely house rabbits ("the terrors") which I originally adopted with my ex from Honey Bunnies, and whilst they aren't at all cuddly (thanks to whoever messed around with them before :( ) they are very friendly and sociable! However I've broken up with said ex and she's disappeared off, which is fine as tbh they were my babies! But I've had to move back home and they have had to be confined to their (admittedly spacious) hutch in the garage as we've a dog, which is cold, damp, dark and not at all fun for them... the garage that is, not the dog!

I'm moving out in September to start a new job and will be finding a houseshare where I can keep them (they will probably have to adapt as garden rabbits, but I'm sure they'll survive!) but that leaves 7 months of living in the garage which isn't fair on them at all. I would love to find them a long term boarding but as a student I can't afford it at all, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what I could do? What is looking like the best option for them is to put them up for adoption and then adopt some different bunnies in September, but not only is that a little ridiculous but I really don't want to lose them!

So yeah any help very much appreciated I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what to do.

if you decide to rehome them you need to contact Jill as I'm fairly sure all rabbits from the rescue must be returned! I would probably get a baby gate and close them in my bedroom, the baby gate just adds that extra defence against the dogs

Ah yeah I probably should have added that having them inside, and I quote, "isn't an option" :?

And yes I think you're right re. returning to the rescue I would try and find them a new home through her... although it is entirely possible that if a home doesnt appear for them by September that I will re-adopt them again, which although would be great in a way I would feel really bad for doing :/

Could you not spend a bit of money and perk the garage space up for them? Give them lighting, and toys so they dont get bored etc?

As we're approaching Spring, you may find the garage gets lighter and warmer - they're certainly not having to contend with driving wind or rain while there. Also, you may be able to give them some free range time in the garden.
Good luck with coming to a solution.

Sorry you are in this position but yes you must contact me as if you can no longer keep them they must come back to us
I don't recognise your screen name so can you say which bunnies it was please?
it is Ocean and partner?

Sorry you are in this position but yes you must contact me as if you can no longer keep them they must come back to us
I don't recognise your screen name so can you say which bunnies it was please?
it is Ocean and partner?

Yes it is indeed Ocean (Roo) and Heikki. Perking up the garage hadn't (for some reason) occurred to me: obviously it will depend on a lot of things, but in principle would a lit garage with some space be ok as a medium term solution? They can get a run around occasionally in the garden, but it just wont be very exciting for them (toys or not... and they have a habit of destroying the ones they like very quickly :lol:).

well Ocean would have to come to us if given up and although her partner came from elsewhere we obviously wouldn't split a bond so would take him too

but if you can keeo them great
Message me, or e mail, honeybunnysr@aol.com and if you like I can do a visit and help you to make the most of the space you have

bunnies in the garage

Lucky rabbits having such a thoughtful owner. Also what a lovely example of the help and support given by the rescue. Hope you got them sorted (garage all nice and rabbit friendly for instance). :)

Back