• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sebastian discovered he can escape

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
I went to feed them this morning and there were things all over the floor but the rabbits were both in their pen so I figured a cat had got in while mum was putting things in the tumble drier and had made a mess while being captured. Just now dad shouted me with panic in his voice, my first thought was that Imogen was collapsed :shock: but no, Sebastian was on the run :roll::lol: he was sat on the window sill and refused to let dad pick him up :lol:

thats another reason for them to move upstairs right? ;):lol:

escape attempt number 3 was successful :roll: they're now shut in their dog crate because I'm worried he'll hurt himself, hopefully my parents will just relent and let them upstairs

yes apparently them being upstairs will make her allergies worse, I've not been allowed to explain myself properly and why I think it'd work I just get an out right no, even when I try and explain it. She'd actually have less exposure to them if they were upstairs!

Plus I would have thought she would like her dining room back. Surely if they are in a closed bedroom and you clean it yourself, she wouldn't be near their fur. You should ask if you can try it for a week and she how her allergy is during that time.

well we use it as the office and she's doing a degree! She's barely studied because she can't get to the table to do so. I wanted to ask to do a week but I wasn't allowed to get past saying I want to move them upstairs

Good luck with your campaign. ;) Spenser went from not being allowed inside, to play-time in the conservatory, to living in my bedrooom ... now he has a morning walk through to his grandparents room and they are quite put out if he isn't in the mood for it. :lol:

I'd make more issues just telling them I'm doing something, it is there house after all :?

I can sympathise with this. :wave:You do need to respect the homeowners' rights, although there is no harm in pointing out the advantages for all with strategic regularity.

I know it sounds silly but can you make up a power point presentation thing or something, sit down with them and say I'd like to say my piece before you guys say anything.
Get pictures of different set ups etc that you can do in your room, write up a cleaning rota, eg hoovering every day to control fluff.
Also I have (well had) severe allergies to animals to the point it made me have asthma attacks.
When I was wee I doted on every animal and kept exposing myself to them ;) I now only have allergies if my breathing is compromised by a chest infection or something.
Or when I get a new bunny or meet a new bunny/animal takes a few days to aclimatise.
Your mum need not go into you room at all, and she'd have the est of her house :)
I know you'e more than likely said all these things but sometimes having it on a presentaion can make them think? xxxx

Yes!! A PowerPoint, or make a leaflet saying why it would be better. I imagine your mom spends more time downstairs than upstairs anyway, hope you can make it happen! It would only be until spring anyway... ;)

maybe, maybe just giving them a written letter would work too. If I can't get them to listen too me they can at least be courteous enough to read what I have to say. Mum only goes in to my bedroom to put a basket of clean clothes in or take the dirty ones out if I have forgotten to, which happens once a week max where as she is going into the conservatory multiple times a day to use the tumble drier.
Apparently the hay will get dragged through the house, it isn't now so no idea why it would be different upstairs!

Shes not the only one that needs to study now and I need a table to work at so I'll bring that up too

Yes!! A PowerPoint, or make a leaflet saying why it would be better. I imagine your mom spends more time downstairs than upstairs anyway, hope you can make it happen! It would only be until spring anyway... ;)

:lol::lol: I've told her I don't want them to go back outside :oops:

maybe, maybe just giving them a written letter would work too. If I can't get them to listen too me they can at least be courteous enough to read what I have to say. Mum only goes in to my bedroom to put a basket of clean clothes in or take the dirty ones out if I have forgotten to, which happens once a week max where as she is going into the conservatory multiple times a day to use the tumble drier.
Apparently the hay will get dragged through the house, it isn't now so no idea why it would be different upstairs!

Shes not the only one that needs to study now and I need a table to work at so I'll bring that up too

If you have the power point thingy or whatever then it gives you the scope to show pictures.
Also to combat the hay thing say you'll hoover everyday!! :)
And perhaps think of ways to minimise the hay going eerywhere, I'm going to get the manor pet hay rack litter tray :) when i has pennies.
Alternatively you could surrender imogen and sebastien to me ;) and you can stay too I suppose :p my house is covered in hay :lol:

I feel like I have been unable to get my point across about having the rabbits upstairs, every time I bring it up I am interrupted and not able to explain myself, please at least read this, sit and consider it before coming back to me and discussing it rather than just an outright no.

Imogen and Sebastian are much happier indoors, I am not comfortable moving them back outside because I now realise that Imogen was miserable out there and I don’t want her to have to go back to being miserable. Plus the possibility of a fox is not a good thing! Not only are the rabbits happier indoors I am much happier with them indoors, I know I can go and sit out with them but I don’t have the motivation, they’re miserable and don’t want to interact with me so I spend less time out there because it feels pointless, they’re more active at times when I am not out there because of the cold, weather or time of day. It’s also more painful for me to be sat outside than it is for me to be sat indoors. I know I have been grumpy for the past few days but this is because I keep dwelling on the idea of them going outside. Having them indoors has made me happier than I have been in such a long time and I don’t want to lose that. They also can’t stay in the conservatory for much longer, both of us need a place we can study, you can use the uni but I can’t and I can’t study sat on the sofa, I get far too distracted or fed up with not being able to spread out that I just give up. Once summer comes it’ll be way too hot in there and they will need to be moved anyway.
They’re also much easier to clean when they’re indoors, I know you’re worried about hay being dragged through the house, which it did when Sebastian was indoors. That was 3 years ago though, not only is my health better but I am generally much tidier these days. Hay is not being dragged through the house with them living downstairs and I don’t see that becoming an issue with them upstairs. If they moved upstairs I would bring their 4ft hutch inside and place their hay inside this, that would reduce the amount of hay being thrown around as it would be contained in the “bedroom” area of the hutch, it’d have to get through the divide, out of the hole in the bottom and then into the room! I’d also put this as far away from the bedroom door as possible so that it is far away from your room (to reduce allergies) and has even further to go before it’d get out into the house, if I kept on top of it as I plan to then it shouldn’t become an issue. I’m much more able to keep on top of the cleaning indoors as I’m not having to lug things around outside. I put it off and then it builds up and by the time I’m finished I’m exhausted! Indoors I’m not having that issue, I’m not needing to fill buckets up and lug them around, I’m not filling up loads of bin bags and leaving them in the garden because they’re too heavy to move, my back doesn’t hurt from sweeping/mopping, my fingers don’t hurt from gripping brooms/brushes/mops, and I don’t get too hot/cold and frustrated with myself.

Sebastian has discovered he can jump out, I’ve had to shut them away in their crate because I am so worried about him hurting himself. A bunny on the forum caught his foot in the top and broke his leg recently. He is not the only rabbit that I have heard of this happening to and now he’s learnt he can jump out there is going to be no stopping him! I think even with netting he will still try it but even if he doesn’t it is going to make my life much more difficult. I know I’m going to get so frustrated with any covering because my motorskills suck, I’m going to really struggle to get it to go on/stay on without the pen moving or something else going wrong!

I’ll also be able to keep a closer eye on them, interact with them better and keep up with everything better if they’re in my room. I also hope that the carpet would help Imogens legs from splaying/slipping around.

What I would want to do is pen off my bed and cover it with a tarp when I’m not in it (to avoid wee!) and remove all wires that can’t be blocked off until I find something to protect them with, cable tidy or hose pipe or something like that. I’d get a baby gate so that if my door pops open the dog can’t get to them/they can’t get out and just for another level of protection. Also hopefully a reminder to me to make sure that hay really isn’t getting out of the room. I’d also start saving up for my own hoover, or one of those red mini hoover things we have so I don’t ruin your hoover with hay.
When my room gets moved around (and I would be fine to hold out this long as it will likely be next week when my bed is moved) I would be putting the hutch at the end of my bed that is nearest the window, you wouldn’t be able to see it from the door, badly drawn but you get the gist.

*insert badly drawn paint picture here that I cba to upload :lol:*

I’d like you to at least consider letting me have a week trial and then we can talk it all over again and decide whether or not it is working and if there is anything that needs changing.

Back