• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ground rules for children around rabbits.

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
My three children like to get involved in the care of our three rabbits.

Dd1 who's 12 has her own rabbit Belle. My younger two children are ds age 9 and dd2 aged 7

We have made up some rules regarding the rabbits.

So far we have

Only adults ie myself and dh are to pick up the rabbits.
They have to ask before giving the rabbits any food or treats.
Always be gentle with the rabbits, gentle stroking and nose rubs are fine.
No chasing or running around after the rabbits always let the rabbits come to you.

Can anyone think of anything i have forgot?

Doors or lids on hutches and runs to be kept closed / locked at all times unless being fed, cleaned etc. under supervision. Better safe than sorry.

no stamping/walking carefully when around the rabbits (I had a little girl visit my 2 rabbits who for some reason lost the ability to walk properly around the rabbits)
calm and quiet
doors locked is a good one
no throwing things near them?
no teasing them with food/toys?
Not to put fingers near them when they're eating

Do not leave wires where buns can get to them! I've lost count of how many play station controler cables have been chewed..and the other day my 12 year old had an ethernet cable chewed..and my kids have 5 years of training..but they still forget!

I'd echo the making no loud noises. My nieces and nephew came to stay and wanted to watch me sorting peter out but they were so noisy :( peter was petrified and seemed nervous for a few days. Peters used to young children as I have 2 boys but they know to be calm around him. He adores them :):love:

definitely to keep noise down and no sudden movements. Me & my 8 year old son are "guinea pig training" at the moment...which involves sitting still, in silence next to guinea pig run in dining room for as long as possible until they come over to get their herbs/veg. Fortunately my children have never been loud & boistous, but do need to be reminded to not make sudden movements, especially when buns are sleeping :lol:

I childmind and all the children are taught to respect the animals from day 1.

be calm around the animals
DO NOT tease them with food or toys
DO NOT put fingers through the cages incase they feel threatend
stroke gently
no ear pulling
no picking up
no fur pulling
all my littlies respect this the only children I have had trouble with is the 5yrold and 8yrold siblings who told me Harvest bit her, well the 5yold put her finger right to harvests mouth so she though she was being fed I suppose but there were no marks and the 8yrold stuck his fingers thorugh her cage which she hates and he knew this but again there are no marks, they are both very hard work children and not particuarly well behaved and I am doubtful as to wether they did get bit or said it for attention but either way they now have no contact with any of the rabbits or guineapigs an I do my best to make sure they stay away from the dog and cats too because i just dont trust them. its their loss because now they get the hump when the other children are allowed to help out or hold them or stroke them.

has letting the rabbits come to them be mentioned? Lots of kiddies follow the animals around which is annoying/stressful, so making them wait for the buns to come to them is a must :thumb:

Thank you everyone.

Luckaly as Belle is a indoor rabbit at the moment they know to be quiet and calm around her.
They can't open the hutch or runs as they have padlocks on and i have the only key (spare is high up where even i need a ladder to get to it). Due to foxes being spotted in the area we renforced the boys outdoor set up.

There are some very good ones that i wouldn't have thought of. Also will be handy to have a rules list for when they have friends over so they can interact with the rabbits if they want to.

No loud noises? IE screaming, shouting.

I am in a predicament where this cannot be avoided... What does this mean for the bunny's health? I have sisters who are 2 and 3, they never stop screaming for food/water, anger, playing, etc. It's actually my other sister's bunny but she is autistic and cannot take care of him in her room. So we moved him in the sun room because he would stain the carpet and she wouldn't clean it. They grab the bunny's food and throw it everywhere, shake his cage, and scream constantly. I already have my lionhead in my room, and so I cannot take him in since my sister's bunny humps mine for dominance. Pleaase HELPP! :?:cry::(

I am in a predicament where this cannot be avoided... What does this mean for the bunny's health? I have sisters who are 2 and 3, they never stop screaming for food/water, anger, playing, etc. It's actually my other sister's bunny but she is autistic and cannot take care of him in her room. So we moved him in the sun room because he would stain the carpet and she wouldn't clean it. They grab the bunny's food and throw it everywhere, shake his cage, and scream constantly. I already have my lionhead in my room, and so I cannot take him in since my sister's bunny humps mine for dominance. Pleaase HELPP! :?:cry::(

It depends on the rabbit. Smudge would go into GI stasis (gut slowdown) at merely the screaming. I cannot really imagine any bunny coping well with their cage being shaken and bunnies are very susceptible to stress. If the cage is small enough to be picked up and shaken it's definitely not large enough for a rabbit. They need around 40 sq ft of space.

Are either rabbit neutered? They would likely be able to be paired up once they are. Then maybe you can try bunnyproofing your room and having them in there with a litter tray.

It depends on the rabbit. Smudge would go into GI stasis (gut slowdown) at merely the screaming. I cannot really imagine any bunny coping well with their cage being shaken and bunnies are very susceptible to stress. If the cage is small enough to be picked up and shaken it's definitely not large enough for a rabbit. They need around 40 sq ft of space.

Are either rabbit neutered? They would likely be able to be paired up once they are. Then maybe you can try bunnyproofing your room and having them in there with a litter tray.

It's a lop, don't know the specifics. They're the first bunnies my family has owned. His cage is 24 inches by 24 inches, I am homeschooled and I wanna be an architect. So I did the research and I am building a 3 floor bunny hutch that is much larger... Then they'll go in my room. As far as the neutering goes, the lop (Thumpy is 5-6 months give or take) is getting fixed soon. The Lion-head (Dobby) is only three months so his genitals haven't dropped yet. But, I have done more research and starting tomorrow I am going to do some bonding exercises with my bunny, then after neutering them both I will bond them.

Back