• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mystery illness- update- still need help

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hiya
My darling dizzy was fine on Friday then sat would not eat and wanted to lie down much of the time. I thought it might be gas so gave him infamous and meta am and he perked up and ate a little. He has continued like this since.

His droppings are normal
He's eating hay, herbs, few bits from garden and a few treats
Sitting and lying down a lot
Can hop around and no other symptoms
Seems perky and normal some of the time but then goes back to lying down

Been to the vet and he tested urine which was fine and checked him over thoroughly. The only thing he said he could find wrong was the front of his abdomen appeared tender. He said he thinks its to do with digestion but was surprised his droppings are good. He's had a shot of bay trail and I'm taking him back in the morning and if there is no improvement we are having an X-ray done

I'm so very worried as I am going on holiday on Sunday! I'm just hoping he perks up today but he's not looking happy since the vets from all the prodding I guess!

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have no idea but just didn't want to read and run. Hope you get it sorted. At least you have taken him to the vets and hopefully it will get sorted whatever it is.

Did the vet check his teeth thoroughly? :wave:

Yes he did and could see one tiny point but didn't think it would be the problem and from my experience with dental buns its usually the hay and hard food they stop eating which he still is. If we end up with an X-ray well check the teeth again then to be sure as I know teeth can be a big issue!

Has the vet checked his bloods? Merry was similar and bloods picked up abnormalities in liver enzymes.

Yes it's good to have bloods done. It picked up a severe infection for Doughnut and she was cut internally. Best to rule out as much as possible.

Thank you, yes I did think of bloods whilst he's in for X-ray.

It's so frustrating as one minute he looks fine then he lies down and looks miserable. Just Let home out in garden and he's had a little dig a few chin rubs and a look around then he'll lie down again! I'm hoping the excessive might help!

They're a real worry when they're like that aren't they?! Fingers crossed its something trivial!

I think I'm more worried as he's never been ill before! I've never left my bunnies either and this is my first ever holiday abroad! I go Sunday so just pray we can get him sorted, he's such a lovely little guy and I hate seeing him poorly!

hope he feels better soon, id say x-rays and bloods are the right way to go to see if they pick anythiing up :wave:

Has the vet checked his bloods? Merry was similar and bloods picked up abnormalities in liver enzymes.

I was going to suggest liver issues too. I've seen similar symptoms in our bunnies but not sure about the discomfort below rib cage, not sure how big an area the liver covers. I hope you get to the bottom of it quickly so he makes a swift recovery and you get a stress free holiday x

Well... Dizzy is still the same! He went into the vet yesterday and nothing showed on an X-ray. He had a few very small spurs on his teeth so they were burred and also took bloods which will be back on Friday.

I am hoping that the teeth were the problem but my gut feeling says not! He is still lying down alot and I haven't seen any improvement this morning regarding his eating or behaviour.

The vet did say that his abdomen is still tender and there was a lot of poo on the X-ray but he is passing normal/good droppings and urinating normally.

He's on bay trail, meta am and Zantac and we are going back in on Friday for the blood results. Liver issues have been suggested which will show on bloods if this is the case.

I'm feeling rather desperate now to get him right as I'm on holiday Sunday! I hate not knowing what is wrong and feel so helpless thatbi cant help him! The vet has offered to board him whilst I'm away and give him any treatments which is what I think I'll have to do if no improvement.

Any advice!

Did the Vet check in his ears, especially if he is a Lop ?

Are his neurological responses normal ?

Also, has the Vet had a really good look at the Xrays for any evidence of arthritis in his lower spine and/or hips ?

I really hope you get some answers Friday. its very kind of your vet to offer boarding, it must be a bit of comfort to you, although I hope he doesn't need it x

I have no idea but just wanted to send you lots of vibes and hugs. It's awful when you don't know what's wrong. I hope you get answers before you go and treatment can be started asap.

Back