• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A rabbit's last moments - sorry distressing but need to know

Rykat

Mama Doe
Hi all

I know this is an awful thing to ask, and apologies if it upsets anyone but I need to know the answer ...

On saturday we lost our nethie Daisy.

She's been eating ok but when I picked her up she'd lost weight in few days. The vet diagnosed with a RTI on Friday and started on meds.

Sat morning she was poorly but bright, 2 hrs later she was very flat and she died in my arms on the way to the vets.

The next bit is the awful thing to ask ...

She was pretty out of it but fidgety, then jumped out of my arms, had a fit, screamed and passed away. I've had this happen once before and it was awful. Is it a "normal" thing that they do in their last moments?

If it is for another reason PLEASE DON'T REPLY.

Thank you

I'm so sorry. :cry::cry: As far as I know it's a very common thing to happen with all animals. Our gerbil, Murphy, passed the same sort of way; it was very distressing for us but others reassured me that he most likely wouldn't have known anything by that stage.

Sleep tight Daisy. xx

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say how really sorry I am that you have lost Daisy, may she binky free at the Bridge xxx

I'm so sorry. :cry: I've never experienced this myself, but I have heard other people saying the same thing. I can imagine how distressing it would be. :cry: Thinking of you. xx

Sweet dreams Daisy. xx

My Oidhche screamed when I picked her up, just as I was taking her to the vets to be pts. She was dying of heart failure, I'm pretty sure she was just in pain and dying, her breathing was awful and it was obvious she was passing.

I'm very sorry you lost Daisy and hope she is happy binkying up there at Rainbow Bridge. Big *hugs* to you.

Hi, not had experience of a rabbit passing away as yet but I have seen a fair number of chickens pass on and I can tell you now that is not uncommon for the bird to have a 'fit' of convulsive movement and make a noise. they have already 'gone' when this happens - it is the last impulsives of nerves acting and the brain is not involved. Even decapitated chickens jerk about=and their brain definatly isn';t sending signals to their body. It is horrible to see and upsetting but death movements I belive happen after consiousness has already gone.

I am very sorry for your loss. please rest assured your little one would not have known about those last moments-and did not make that noise consiously.

In my experience, yes, it's normal. I think it's just the body shutting down. I think the brain has shut down by that point, so they're not aware of the 'fitting'. (At least, that's what I like to believe :cry:)

I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Daisy xx

Yes, it is common. I had a rescue nethie with congenital heart disease and she had a RTI. She had a massive fit with screaming and it left me mortified that I couldn't help her. She actually 'recovered' from this episode but died two days later. There is nothing that you could have done more. I'm really sorry that Daisy has left you heartbroken. Binky free Daisy. xx

So sorry for your loss. You were doing all the right things for her and I'm sure that Daisy had some comfort from you being there.

Yes, I have had a similar thing happen to me. You never forget a rabbit's scream - but it was extremely quick. Mine had been poorly for a few days, was very quiet and under veterinary treatment. Suddenly leapt / ran, screamed and died.

It is usually an autonomic response as the brain closes down. When it happens the Rabbit is unconscious in that he/she is unaware of what is happening. It is a sort of 'relex reaction' as the supply of oxygen to the brain ceases and the brain's electrical 'signals' close down. It is very distressing for us, but in most cases the Rabbit is not aware of anything

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure someone on here said about the scream and then her rabbit died.

I hope you take comfort from what has been said before that Daisy wouldn't have known about it.

Lots of hugs.

I am so sorry for you loss. :cry::cry: Yes it is fairly normal. My old man Sunshine was very ill one morning and I had to wait a few hours for an appointment for the vets, sadly he died in my arms and made several distressing noises and screamed but he was also semi-unconscious laying on my chest and mouth breathing. It is a terrible experience for us but as time goes on the memory of what happened to you will fade.

Back