• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
My Misty is being spayed on Wednesday, but I've just realised that the receptionist who booked the appt. didnt give me any advice on "starving" her the night before or withholding water a few hours before. Should I be withholding any of these things? What did you all do when your fur babies had an op? Cheers :wave:

Hi no rabbits need to be feed and watered right up till they go down for the op so you will nee to take some food and treats in for her to have while shes waiting and to have when she wakes up

Try and get fresh herbs of veg which she likes. Most rabbits don't want pellets for a day or two which surprised me as Doughnut loves them.

The main thing is to get her eating again when you get her home and also make sure you are given pain relief to give to her. At least a few days worth.

Some vets just give an injection saying it lasts 24 hours, which it does and then don't give any thing for you to administer. A lot of owners on here have had to go back to the vets to get some pain relief. I was given a weeks worth but at least a few days will be needed so insist on it. I had to give her the first dose the following morning.

Good luck.

How do you know if they're in pain :/ I'd feel terrible if I left her suffering, and rabbits barely ever make noises! :(

Make sure you have pain medication and you won't need to worry about it :wave:

But as for signs of it, that would be lack of appetite (although she may be reluctant to eat after the operation anyway, but she should definitely be eating within a few hours), perhaps being aggressive or struggling to move might be indicators too. Check the wound regularly to make sure it's healing and keep the pain meds up for at least a week.

Not moving, hunched in a corner and not eating.

Doughnut was spayed about 3pm and when I picked her up she wasn't in any pain, in fact she jumped on a shelf and I was mortified as you need to restrict their movement, so put her in her hutch for the rest of the day. I was so upset to see she hadn't eaten when I checked her in the morning at 7 but by midday she had started eating. Just telling you this so you don't worry too much!

You just don't want her in pain as she won't be eating and you need their gut to start moving as soon as possible. I also put a bowl of water down for Doughnut as it's easier for them to drink from rather than a bottle.

I'm no good at syringe feeding as she's a little wriggler and the last thing I wanted to do was hurt her picking her up. I put her meds on a tiny bit of weetabix as she loves it and thinks it's a treat but you could always put it on herbs if you have trouble.

Let us know how it goes.

I will, thanks! :) she's has syringe anti biotics before, I just laid her on her back on my knee, she relaxes more, and pushed the syringe into her mouth, so I should be alright administering those, its just the not knowing what to expect, will definitely ask for some pain killers though :) do they give you antibiotics too? Or just painkillers? How long should it take before it starts to scab over? Will let you all know what happens :)

I will, thanks! :) she's has syringe anti biotics before, I just laid her on her back on my knee, she relaxes more, and pushed the syringe into her mouth, so I should be alright administering those, its just the not knowing what to expect, will definitely ask for some pain killers though :) do they give you antibiotics too? Or just painkillers? How long should it take before it starts to scab over? Will let you all know what happens :)

I wouldn't lay her on her back, it causes tonic immobility, the bun essentially freezes in fear, and doing it that way could increase the risk of choking.
I either weapons on a towel, or I pop them onto the counter, and put it into the side of the mouth.
It'll take 5 days for her to recover from the spay, but the scar can take a bit longer.
you'll have a post op check at between 3-5 days to check the healing and if needs be given antibiotics if she needs them .

I think I was given antibiotics, it's hard to remember. It's the metacam you need which is pain relief.

I went back 5 days later and they took the stitches out, they used glue and stitches with Doughnut. Glue for the inside wound and stitches for the outside. She'd nibbled a few but not too bad.

I wouldn't turn her on her back if you can give her her meds in a nicer way. A lot of people use a towel and use the bunny burrito method. I just find it easier putting it on tempting food.

Back