• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Standard Rex Breeders in Devon/South West?

ziggyandme

Mama Doe
:wave:
I'm finding it near impossible to track down a Standard Rex breeder in Devon :(:(. I'd be willing to travel a little further.
Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom for me?
Thank you in advance :)

Sadly we're pro-rescue, you're not going to find many breeder recommendations! Rexes are fairly common in rescue though...

You could try the rescue centres or preloved. I went today to look at a standard rex through a preloved ad. He was going to be taken to the rescue place today but hes mine now :love: so its the same thing imo :thumb: i get to collect him on 24th Feb sooo excited! Good luck with your search.

Definitely have a browse in rescue before you go to a breeder :) Rex are very popular breeds so I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding one, and they can organise 'bunny runs' if the rescue is far away. You pay an adoption fee (which is often incredibly cheap to say the rabbit will come neutered and vaccinated). If its a baby you're after, you can sometimes get them in rescue, although I wouldn't completely cast aside the idea of adopting an adult rabbit because their personalities are fully developed and you know what you're getting, a baby rabbit may be friendly and happy to be cuddled but they often change quite drastically no matter how well you think you've raised them

Rabbits are also much better off with company of their own kind so unless you plan on keeping the rabbit inside where you can give it a lot of company and attention, you should really get a pair, and again rescues can help with bonding :)

He is gorgeous! Cant wait to collect him!!!

He is one hot boy, I hope Bella appreciates his hotness :lol:

0776899c-30f9-4190-836b-f3c1ebfcc716_zps90ea002b.jpg

Meet Buzz, i wanted to call him Dudley or Mole but my children wanted Buzz lol, i dont even get to name my own pets now!

Hello there ziggyandme, welcome to the forum :D:wave: If you'd like a Rex as a pet, I'd also advise looking in rescue. This is my Standard Rex, she came from BARC (Barnsley Animal Rescue Centre) in Yorkshire. I live in Aberdeen and she was transported part way to me in a bunnyrun!

4-6-2010044.jpg

16411044.jpg

If you want your Rex for breeding, definitely go somewhere where you can meet the parents and with a breeder who knows their history. I'm not clued up on breeding but there are a few members who can give you advice. I'd like to warn you in advance though that people here prefer to rescue as there are something like 30,000 rabbits in rescue :O and a lot of rescues are represented on the forum, so you may not get a lot of helpful responses re breeding.

Also just wanted to mention another thing about Rexes - as they have been so heavily bred for their fur, they have developed what are called 'breed faults'. Quite a few rabbit breeds have specific breed faults. In Rexes, the most common is a thing called 'sore hocks', where the delicate fur on the feet wears through and wears at the skin underneath. Heart problems are also common, my Oidhche died of heart failure and I think Jack's Bella has heart problems too. Eye problems have also been noticed, most commonly in Orange Rexes.

I'm not trying to put you off in the slightest, Rexes are a wonderful, wonderful breed, intelligent and greedy :lol: and I plan to have another one day, but they can be very expensive with the associated health problems (I stopped counting Oidhche's bill after a while) and I always think it's wise to know these things up front. I hope you manage to find the perfect bun for you :D

Also just wanted to mention another thing about Rexes - as they have been so heavily bred for their fur, they have developed what are called 'breed faults'. Quite a few rabbit breeds have specific breed faults. In Rexes, the most common is a thing called 'sore hocks', where the delicate fur on the feet wears through and wears at the skin underneath. Heart problems are also common, my Oidhche died of heart failure and I think Jack's Bella has heart problems too. Eye problems have also been noticed, most commonly in Orange Rexes.

I'm not trying to put you off in the slightest, Rexes are a wonderful, wonderful breed, intelligent and greedy :lol: and I plan to have another one day, but they can be very expensive with the associated health problems (I stopped counting Oidhche's bill after a while) and I always think it's wise to know these things up front. I hope you manage to find the perfect bun for you :D
You are correct , Bella was found to have a heart murmur in October of last year and had to have an x-ray and bloods done. The xray showed she had an enlarged heart and was diagnosed with heart disease. She was put on Fortekor tablets which she has to have half daily and has been responding really well to them, she had an x-ray last month and her heart has decreased in size :) She has cost us a fortune what with being a dental bun as well, having to have regular x-rays, dentals and on 2 long term medications!

I would only own a rex again if I was sure to have money available or if I could insure them, however I don't think insurance companies would pay for long term health problems. Rex's are lovely though, have the most wonderful temperaments, I absolutely love them my Bella is a bunny in a million and thankfully a very strong girl and copes well with all the ops and problems she has. I suppose as long as you are aware of the common problems they can get and you are able to fund for treatment and things then go for it , they are lovely bunnies as are any breed :thumb: :love:

Last edited:
My rex is from a breeder who was re homing him, they said he was from last years litter and there daughter had him and shes going to uni so they have to rehome him, the man didnt even know his name and the women was like oh i think she called him binky or something! Im very suspitious anyway but ill get him checked at the vets and get both my buns insured. Wouldnt surprise me if they kept him to breed from and then had problems who knows, they could b tellibg the truth, just found it strange they didnt even know poor buns name, well ill tell u something his names Buzz!!!! And hes mine now!!!!

el1983 and Coinenach what gorgeous bunnies you all have! :D:love:
Thanks to you Summerleaze, I'm seriously looking into adopting Serena from Little Valley - I've fallen for her. However, I'm afraid she'll adopted by someone else in the next few weeks as I need to register, have a home visit and am going away for a week (although I know Zig will be in safe hands with my lovely neighbours. I simply don't want to leave him, but that's another issue).
I've been saving for a very long time for these bun's (since I was 8 or 9, and am now 17:lol:) so money isn't too much of an issue.
I'm with Ziggy now and am feeling positive about our future, I'm pretty sure he is too. :love:

el1983 and Coinenach what gorgeous bunnies you all have! :D:love:
Thanks to you Summerleaze, I'm seriously looking into adopting Serena from Little Valley - I've fallen for her. However, I'm afraid she'll adopted by someone else in the next few weeks as I need to register, have a home visit and am going away for a week (although I know Zig will be in safe hands with my lovely neighbours. I simply don't want to leave him, but that's another issue).
I've been saving for a very long time for these bun's (since I was 8 or 9, and am now 17:lol:) so money isn't too much of an issue.
I'm with Ziggy now and am feeling positive about our future, I'm pretty sure he is too. :love:

Are your parents on board with it 100%? Because legally you're too young to adopt/buy a rabbit, but I'm sure being so close to 18 they wont mind you being the primary carer as long as you really know your stuff

You might want to do a search on here to see what homecheckers look for, and also have you checked the rescues rehoming policies? Many require a certain hutch size, and that rabbits must be rehomed in pairs

Yep, dad's totally on board. Thank you DemiS:):)

No problem :) If you've got any questions at all about the adoption process or rabbit care ask away, it's brilliant that you're thinking of going to a rescue and everyone will be more than happy to help :) I'm sure you'll be a great owner, just don't forget to check the rescues policies beforehand so you know you're most likely to pass the homecheck, the last thing you want to do is go out and buy everything you need only to find the rescue wants a bigger hutch or something

You could try the rescue centres or preloved. I went today to look at a standard rex through a preloved ad. He was going to be taken to the rescue place today but hes mine now :love: so its the same thing imo :thumb: i get to collect him on 24th Feb sooo excited! Good luck with your search.

:love::love::love::love::love::love: congrats

Back