• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody got HayforPets Timothy and Rye hay?

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
I got a bale the other day and it seems very...odd. I have bought a bale of timothy and rye from them every month for about a year. This hay almost looks like straw! :shock: The bunnies will not touch it and I'm worrying because it's the only hay they will eat. I have only ever had one "bad" bale that was from the "edge of the field" and had lots of debris in it. They sent out a new bale asap with an apology, I was very impressed but this bale isn't mouldy or damp..it's just very very stalky. :? I did wonder at first if they had sent me straw by mistake but it is definitely hay.

I don't really know what to do or if it is even a problem. I am wondering if maybe it is just very fresh as there seems to be grassy bits in it.

Has anybody else had any problems with their hay?

I ordered a bag from them yesterday so won't be here for a few days. If you are at all unsure, I would give them a ring.

Mine arrived a few days ago and the only problem I'm having is the strands are mega long so I'm having to really pull it out :lol: and then cut it in half..!

Mine arrived a few days ago and the only problem I'm having is the strands are mega long so I'm having to really pull it out :lol: and then cut it in half..!

Mine too. I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and it is identical to the stuff I got a few months ago. Could you take a picture of it so we could see?

Got ours last week and it is the same, very stalky and long.

My last bale of meadow just before Christmas which we started using a couple of weeks ago seems to have quite a lot of moss in which I am having to pick out.

Well after a bit of coaxing the buns are starting to eat some of it. As I was trying to take pics of individual strands they came over and ate them! :lol:

It is very long and stalky. I was worried it might upset their tums if it wasn't the right stuff but from what you have all said, it sounds like it is ok. I will post some pics up anyway but tbh on the pics it just looks normal! :lol:

We got one a few days ago, like everyone said, really really long and stalky. I've never had it before so thought that was normal?

IMG_8212_zps02c6df39.jpg

IMG_8215_zpsd17cf780.jpg

IMG_8224_zpsc1200153.jpg

There we go. It was very difficult to get these pics as the buns kept running off with the stalks! :lol:
They are eating the hay but don't seem overly bothered about it, I think I will just have to persist and MAKE them eat it lol. Picky *******! :roll:

The bale I got just before Christmas is fine, it's stalky but not to the extent that I'd say it's too stalky. Buckley loves it anyway! I'll see if I can get a photo of ours later to compare :) Buckley loves the extra long strands. He sits in his litter tray and I wrap it in a circle around him like a nest; he thinks it's great fun to eat something 3x his own length! x

Got my latest h4p Timothy and rye about a week ago, best bag I've ever had, looks like new cut, smells lovely and bunnies are going mad for it.

Give graham and Ann a call / email :)

Got my latest h4p Timothy and rye about a week ago, best bag I've ever had, looks like new cut, smells lovely and bunnies are going mad for it.

Give graham and Ann a call / email :)

Graham, I said to my parents earlier that it looks fresh and that may be why it's funny-looking! My buns weren't overly fussed about it (which I was surprised about because they adore stalky hay) but they seem to have taken to it. I was just a little worried in case they had sent me the wrong bale or something. I feel much better now that othrs seem to be the same and it's nothing to worry about. :) I love the H4P hay so was hoping I wouldn't need to complain!

Graham, I said to my parents earlier that it looks fresh and that may be why it's funny-looking! My buns weren't overly fussed about it (which I was surprised about because they adore stalky hay) but they seem to have taken to it. I was just a little worried in case they had sent me the wrong bale or something. I feel much better now that othrs seem to be the same and it's nothing to worry about. :) I love the H4P hay so was hoping I wouldn't need to complain!

Glad to hear they have tucked in!

I'm now 10% into my 'bale' and there's what looks like green hay there! :shock: it's just thick stalky but green, instead of the normal yellows colour.

Ginger sniffed it and literally bit my hand off trying to eat it, it must be like bunny catnip!

I'm so glad I found h4p, it's quite literally changed gingers life!

Glad to hear they have tucked in!

I'm now 10% into my 'bale' and there's what looks like green hay there! :shock: it's just thick stalky but green, instead of the normal yellows colour.

Ginger sniffed it and literally bit my hand off trying to eat it, it must be like bunny catnip!

I'm so glad I found h4p, it's quite literally changed gingers life!

Yes, I am glad I fount H4P too, my bun's poos have never been so healthy! :lol: I'm certain it has also helped Fiver's teeth, he had a dental last month but before that it had gone a year with noticeable spikes on his teeth. He was still eating even when his teeth were pretty bad so booked him in anyway before any damage was done to his mouth. Hopefully it'll be even longer now he has had a good vet do his dental! :thumb:

I parted a slice of the bale and found it has almost grassy bits in it, bright green still and not so dried out as well as the large green stalky bits. They have definitely realised how nice it is...it just took me hand feeding them it repeatedly to realise! :roll: I was more concerned for Xena as she has a dicky tummy and was actually tummy pressing earlier but she is happily munching her way through it. Their poos even darkened from the lack of hay and I only gave them the new stuff last night! Bloody bunnies, they really do not like having any change in their life! :lol:

My current bale is from before Christmas but it's generally fairly stalky anyway - but my two prefer the more stalky bits and generally leave the little bits.

My buns are eating it but are wasting a hell of a lot. Their litter tray is full of hay already but they still jump in to munch any fresh hay I put in. They just don't seem overly please with it! :roll: Personally I think it looks yummy! :lol:

the latest one we got is sooooo thick and stalky! bisc and matt prefer it as stalky as possible so they're thrilled! some does look like straw but as i've gone through the bag there seems to be some very green pieces aswell. :D

the latest one we got is sooooo thick and stalky! bisc and matt prefer it as stalky as possible so they're thrilled! some does look like straw but as i've gone through the bag there seems to be some very green pieces aswell. :D

I thought my buns would love it! The reason I get the Timothy and Rye is because it is STALKY. :evil: Bloody bunnies! :lol: Ah well..their poo is a little darker than usual but they seem happy...just enjoying making a right mess getting to the bits they like! :roll: My poor bedroom!

Back