• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D Nala is back to her normal naughty self! How long should we use antibiotics?

Nala's Mummy

Young Bun
My house rabbit Nala about 6 years old (found her on here 4 1/2 years ago) had a dental operation 2 weeks ago to file down the spurs on her molars. We realised there was something wrong when she had stopped eating her pellets - very unusual for her as she loves her food. She continued to eat hay and veg but had a smaller appetite. We took her to the vets and the molars were straight away said to be the problem. However, since her operation she has not returned to her normal self, very reserved - not the cheeky madam we are used to. We have been giving syringe feeding her bio lapis in water (which she hates the taste of), metacam (which she loves) incase she was still in pain, and have started giving her fibreplex and critical care because I'm worried she is in stasis because her poos are smaller and darker and not as many of them (the vet has said her stomach feels and sounds fine). She has also stopped drinking herself altogether - even though the vet has said she is not dehydrated. She has now developed noisy breathing, her eyes and nose are watering, the inside of her ears were once pink now white, I can see the white around her eyes more and this morning she was swaying slightly - I fear she has ''Snuffles'' she is booked in for an X ray and blood tests tomorrow. I understand most rabbits carry the Pasteurella and the stress of the dental could have caused it to become an illness...? I am worried about her going under GA again... any advice, similar experience and treatment suggestions would be hugely appreciated. She was so healthy and happy just 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Sending my very best vibes for Nala tomorrow. My little Simba is also due for an X-ray tomorrow and I truly share your anxiety and concern Hoping everything goes well and that Nala is feeling much better very soon. xx

Thank you all for your vibes.

Thank you Bunnykin - Why is Simba having his x ray? What a little coincidence... Nala & Simba :love:

I think Simba has bladder problems. Since I booked appointment he's been ok so am now wondering if I should wait longer in case the Baytril did work. But I think I'm looking for any excuse not to take him tomorrow. So worried about him.
Our little bunnies are so precious.

Did the Vet suggest putting her on antibiotics *before* subjecting her to another GA ?

Personally I would want this as there does appear to be obvious signs of active infection going on.

Would you be able to ask the Vet if Nala could go onto an antibiotic today and for her to have a good few days of treatment before attempting another GA ??

Did the Vet suggest putting her on antibiotics *before* subjecting her to another GA ?

Personally I would want this as there does appear to be obvious signs of active infection going on.

Would you be able to ask the Vet if Nala could go onto an antibiotic today and for her to have a good few days of treatment before attempting another GA ??

She has been on Baytril syrup since Saturday, so one dose Saturday, one dose Sunday and I'll give her a dose before we go... is that ok?

Leaving in an hour!

I have also read somewhere that it could be possible to do the xray without a GA - was going to ask the vet if there were any other options...
I've read that someone used a sedative, which may be safer as less invasive. You get a shot of Domitor to put her under, and then a reversal agent to bring her out of it.
Anbody done this?

I have also read somewhere that it could be possible to do the xray without a GA - was going to ask the vet if there were any other options...
I've read that someone used a sedative, which may be safer as less invasive. You get a shot of Domitor to put her under, and then a reversal agent to bring her out of it.
Anbody done this?

Sedation can be as much of a risk as a GA in some cases.

If the Vet believes there to be active infection going on then personally I would prefer to get the Rabbit well established on antibiotics BEFORE any sedation/GA was attempted.

Sedation can be as much of a risk as a GA in some cases.

If the Vet believes there to be active infection going on then personally I would prefer to get the Rabbit well established on antibiotics BEFORE any sedation/GA was attempted.

Right, now I'm upset that my vet hasn't said this. How long do you think is well established?

Do you think Baytril is a good antibiotic for her to be on for the moment?

Just called my vet to let him know my concern. Going to take her for a check up anyway, he said we'll decide about xray when I get there.

Is there anything else I can ask him for?

Back from the vet...

I took your advice. She has lost weight - 2.3kg now 1.91kg since saturday, and the vet also said she was breathing quite fast.
He has given me more baytril and also now some septrim, also tiacyl solution for her eyes as she has an infection in her right eye.
Going to take her in again tomorrow morning to see how she is doing...

I took your advice. She has lost weight - 2.3kg now 1.91kg since saturday, and the vet also said she was breathing quite fast.
He has given me more baytril and also now some septrim, also tiacyl solution for her eyes as she has an infection in her right eye.
Going to take her in again tomorrow morning to see how she is doing...

I hope the combination of antibiotics gets the infection under control.

Nala has now been on anitbiotics for nearly 2 weeks (Baytril & Septrim) she has been back to her normal naughty self for over a week now! :D :D :D :D

So.. My question is... how long should she be on them for?

We have a check up at the vets tomorrow morning but I would like to know from your experiences what I should do....

I am worried if she comes off them then her illness might come back, does this happen?

Back