• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lots of soft poops - help please

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
If you've read any of my previous posts, I'm sure you'll know that Rolo is not fussed on hay and I'm wondering if this is why he seems to be doing a lot of soft poops lately. He does lots of ordinary ones too but the soft ones are so messy and he usually manages to squash them over the carpet or him before I see them!

I know he needs to eat more hay but I really am at the end of my tether. After reading about INGS and Timothy and Rye on here, I ordered some samples but the fussy little git won't touch it!!! I have six bags of hay here and he has the odd nibble on a couple but nowhere near what he should be eating.

Is there anything else that could be causing the softs poops? He's perfectly happy and seems healthy in every other way. Eats his small amount of pellets each morning, a small veggie treat in the evening, absolutely loves his dried dandelion mix and will nibble on the little alfafa bales.

Any advice much appreciated - thanks for reading xx

Has any physical cause for his lack of hay eating been investigated? Like spurs, or tooth root issues (via x-ray)? Or something else where he may crave or need something in his diet?

What does he eat between pellets? Do you ensure to keep his gut going all the time? Does he eat grass?

Have you had him since he was a baby, or was he an adult? How old is he, roughly?

He's three years old, he had his first dental last May, the vet checked his teeth just before Christmas and they were all fine.

I've had him since he was a baby and to be honest, he's never eaten much hay. I think I've probably noticed it more since he moved in to be a house bunny before Christmas. In between pellets, he eats readigrass, a little bit of the dandelion mix and the odd nibble of hay.

Sometimes he will eat hay if I hand feed him but he is so fussy, he will eat one piece and then turn his nose up at another bit from the same bag!

Readigrass is a fine replacement for hay- Someone on here said FHB says it ca be fed unlimited, so if he eats that, then I wouldn't worry too much about the hay aspect, BUT, I would be getting his tooth roots checked, just in case they are causing him problems (that can't be seen on visual examination) and potentially, you might want to also consider other things as well. Have you tried him with grass?

All that said, I've found in some of mine, Readigrass does cause dysbiosis so they can't have it. That may be the culprit for him as well, so do be aware of that.

Back