• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fortekor???? (worried)

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
ok so the vets prescriibed this for sox for the kidney disease, i collected t yesterday, they gave us water down tablet that they had mixed up with water 2.5mg and to give 0.5ml a day, gave him first one at 3pm yesterday, before i collected it weighed him at home he was 0.94kg and body felt great compared to other week and he eating well, this morning bight as button eating well body felt good size, go to my nans come back and in space of 3hours his back bones feel absolutely horrid soo boney :shock: :cry: i am now soo worried, it has to be the fortekor? :? ie he is still as bright as button binkyng round, but seems very hungry so ive given him an extra meal, can fortekor cause thiis reaction soo fast :cry: what if i give him todays fortekor which he should have now and his weght drops even more, i don;t want to kill him :cry: he is soo happy

how can he go from feeling ok to then his boney in a matter of hours :cry:

He may have passed a lot of urine ? He cant possibly have lost body fat/muscle in 3 hours. The only thing he can have lost is fluids.

I can't help with that, I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run. I hope he feels better soon. I think if he is ok in himself then the meds wouldn't be the problem but obviously can't be sure. Sending him lots of vibes. x

He may have passed a lot of urine ? He cant possibly have lost body fat/muscle in 3 hours. The only thing he can have lost is fluids.

wondering whether to begin recovery again while the meds are new to him but he is eating well, i will speak to the vet in the morn, can fortekor make the urinate a lot? :?

wondering whether to begin recovery again while the meds are new to him but he is eating well, i will speak to the vet in the morn

If he will eat Recovery from a bowl you could offer him some. It wont do any harm and it will boost his fluid intake. I would not syringe feed him though as that may stress him out and would be counter-productive as he is eating for himself.

If he will eat Recovery from a bowl you could offer him some. It wont do any harm and it will boost his fluid intake. I would not syringe feed him though as that may stress him out and would be counter-productive as he is eating for himself.

yes he will eat recovery from a bowl

he has had some recovery and some cauliflower and cucumber, must felt full from them now hay munching with mabel, i am absolutely scared to death of giving him todays dose of fortekor :(

going to give him todays dose now soo scared :oops:

had to go and rest as made myself feel pysically sick when i came home and he felt the way he did

I'm sure it won't be the meds making him seem skinny. Have you tried porridge oats? This can help put weight on a bun but I would talk to your vet about giving him it. I've never had a problem with keeping weight on a bun when they have still been eating so don't have much experience with maintaining weight. x

can;t work it out my scales have always been accurate, and now weighed him again and it said 0.93kg :? so not as paniccy now and given him the meds, i said to dad maybe he had huge wee dad said scales arent accurate and the weight dff not much, said yeah but to alittle rabbit it can be alot of difference

will monitor him overnight but he is still hopping around happily in himself

Back