• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

justcfound soft squashy lump underneath my bun's teat

I was doing one of my regular body checks on my female unspayed rabbit and found a soft squashy lump under one of her teats about 2cm across. It is not a hard lump. She will be 5 in March. She seems in good health apart from her drinking a bit more than normal. She lives with her 7 yr old mum who has no similar lumps. Does anyone have any suggestions what this could be?. I am hoping its not a mammary tumouras it is nothard. I only noticed it this morning.

It could be a cyst or abscess and not necessarily anything to worry about.

I once had a bun with a mammary tumour and metastases which were inoperable but she lived a further, happy and healthy, 14 months with the condition which I hope might reassure you in a worst-case diagnosis, but I really wouldn't worry yet as hopefully it's something simple.

thanks for that. How did you find out she had a mammary tumour - did you find a lump? I checked her urine which is absolutely fine so hoping nothing to do with her uterus. The lump is squishy and flattish and there is another tiny round one next to it which is also soft and moveable rather than fixed so hopefully cysts. The teat does seem a little bigger than her other teats. I will take her to the vets and get her checked. thanks for the reply

I think the only way to know what it is is a vet trip. It sounds like it could be a fatty lump but if she is also drinking more and the teats are larger than normal it's best to get a full check up at the vets. Fingers crossed it's nothing sinister. x

thanks for that. will take her tomorrow. she wont like going at all as she has never been to the vets and always been in perfect health like her mum and sis. She is actually half wild bred. Her mum is an escaped pet rabbit who bred with a wild rabbit in fields nearby and then made a burrow/nest in our garden and had her kits. She was attracted to our garden as we already had 2 rabbits who lived in a big run in the garden. We ended up adopting mum and 2 daughters and finding good homes for the others :) thanks. Linda

thanks for that. will take her tomorrow. she wont like going at all as she has never been to the vets and always been in perfect health like her mum and sis. She is actually half wild bred. Her mum is an escaped pet rabbit who bred with a wild rabbit in fields nearby and then made a burrow/nest in our garden and had her kits. She was attracted to our garden as we already had 2 rabbits who lived in a big run in the garden. We ended up adopting mum and 2 daughters and finding good homes for the others :) thanks. Linda

Is she not vaccinated then? I would certainly talk to the vets about that but only after the vet is happy that she is healthy. With a wild rabbit population nearby the risk of disease is increased. Good luck at the vets. x

Is she not vaccinated then? I would certainly talk to the vets about that but only after the vet is happy that she is healthy. With a wild rabbit population nearby the risk of disease is increased. Good luck at the vets. x

The fields are quite a way off (her mum was wide ranging we think) and our garden is vey enclosed so no danger of her coming into contact with any infected wild buns. We had her mum checked out and she was fine. we were never absolutely sure she mated with a wild as there were two other escapees roaming the estate too. we think a local pubs pets corner dumped a load out when it changed hands but it is always a poss they could be half wild.

The fields are quite a way off (her mum was wide ranging we think) and our garden is vey enclosed so no danger of her coming into contact with any infected wild buns. We had her mum checked out and she was fine. we were never absolutely sure she mated with a wild as there were two other escapees roaming the estate too. we think a local pubs pets corner dumped a load out when it changed hands but it is always a poss they could be half wild.

She wouldn't need to come into contact with wild Rabbits to be at risk of both Myxomatosis and VHD. Both can be spread via blood sucking insects such as mosquitoes and fleas. All Rabbits are at risk as far as these two deadly but preventable (by vaccination) diseases are concerned

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

Being an entire Doe she is at higher risk of the mass being a malignancy, as well as from uterine cancer. I hope that she will have neither, but certainly a Vet check tomorrow is essential.

Last edited:

Myxi and VHD are carried by mosquitoes and other biting insects, which land on infected buns, bite them and then fly off and bite another bunny..thus infecting them. It's always best to get them vaccinated, even my buns are vaccinated and they are indoor buns. VHD is very contagious and nearly always kills a bun within 48 hours of contraction with little/no symptoms. A rabbit that contracts myxi has a very low chance of survival if they aren't vaccinated. There are no cures for either disease and both diseases cause horrific suffering :( It's always best to prevent now so as not to regret it later. x

She wouldn't need to come into contact with wild Rabbits to be at risk of both Myxomatosis and VHD. Both can be spread via blood sucking insects such as mosquitoes and fleas. All Rabbits are at risk as far as these two deadly but preventable (by vaccination) diseases are concerned

Being an entire Doe she is at higher risk of the mass being a malignancy, as well as from uterine cancer. I hope that she will have neither, but certainly a Vet check tomorrow is essential.

Woops you beat me to it! :lol:

It doesn't matter if the wild buns can't get into your garden.
Myxomatosis is spread by biting insects, so they could bite any of your buns and then spread it.
Trust me you don't want to see a bunny die from this disease, or vhd.
I lost 3 buns to myxo when I was 12 It has stayed with me and I'm 21 now.
There's a combined vaccine now which means it woks out cheaper rather than needing 2 seperate jabs.
Do you have your other buns vaccinated?
It's not worth the risk to leave them unvainated in my opinion, I didn't know about the importance of vaccinating when I was 12 and ultimately it was my parents decision.
I still feel awful about that, but I try to make up for it by giving my buns now the best possible care.
I hope your girlie will be ok, and that it's not a tumour. Even if it isn't a tumour it would be an idea to get her spayed as soon as you can as well.
Then it means you don't need to worry about the potential for uterine cancer, studies have shown that 80% of unspayed does get this over the age of 5 :(
I'm keeping everything crossed for you! xx

I found a lump on twinkle just about a year ago, I went straight to the vets, it was some kind of mammary tumor, We had it removed but I decided against having the lump tested. Theory being regardless of the outcome we would look after her so by saving £40 by testing it we were then £40 up for if she developed another one.

She was nearly 6 when we got her and needed spaying which we did straight away.

The vet did say that if we had left it she would have been in pain and terminal in a matter of a couple of months.

Back