• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant rabbit or not?

Eaj20

Young Bun
So yesterday my doe started moving all her bedding into one corner of her cage and i also realised that not whenever i go to touch her she grunts at me i've only had her for just over two weeks but she has never done this before. When i hold her i also feel asif her nipples are swollen as i've never held her and been able to feel them before. She hasn't been with a male whilst she has been with me i do have a buck but he is neutered and has been for 7months and they live completely seperately as i was waiting to get her spayed before bonding them. She was born on the 28th of august which makes her almost 6months old which i still see as young. But the lady i bought her off was a breeder and i have seen photographs of my rabbit whilst she had her in the same cage as a male rabbit in which case she could be anything between 18-31days pregnant although the person i got her off said she had never bred from her as she was to young. I know absoblutley nothing about pregnant rabbits or kits. I'm just very unsure of what is going on and i know i will have to wait and see but i am feeling very impatient.

she sounds like she is nesting but first time matings are often a miss but the doe will still go through all the motions as if she is pregnant i guess its a case of waiting hopefully shes not as she is very young :(

it could be a phantom pregnancy so try not to worry, if she hasn't had kits by day 35 of being with you then I'd book her in to be neutered as the phantom is due to high hormone levels and is normally solved by speying :thumb:

She might be pregnant or it might be a false pregnancy. If she is pregnant and close to delivery, you should be able to gently palpate the kits or at least feel them kicking.

By the time you read this, you might already have your answer awaiting in her cage...

You shouldnt palpatate, can cause harm, just place your hand gently on her belly and you feel them moving/kicking if she is, bepatient though, can take a while and depends how far along she is,

Phantom is also possible at her age, as her hormones kick in, she will show all the signs, nesting, swollen nipples, hormonal, but no babies.

Good luck

Just to add to my post yesterday, I had a foster cat who was having a phantom pregnancy everyone thought it was a real pregnancy, myself, my family, the other charity workers, even the vets and vet nurses did until we did an Ultra Sound Scan! :shock: they can be very convincing, she had swollen nipples, a swollen belly, she was acting like a pregnant queen it was very strange!

Back