• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hamster has bald patch

jwr

Banned
Hi my syrian hamster Dangerous Brian has a bald patch on his back about the size of pea but more square than round the skin is not inflamed or anything he is 1 year old any ideas what might have caused it?

I'd suspect mites too. You can buy ivermectin spot on treatment, and you use it three times, every two weeks (a vet told me this, and I found that doing it weekly three times, as I've done with other animals, didn't work with hamsters).

I'd rule out mites before anything else, as it's so common. I expect a vet would want to do the same, but you could take them for a diagnosis to be sure.

The ivermectin I use is: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...-50-mini-9-pipettes-ivermectin-spot-on-p-1501 You have to weigh the hamster and sort out the dosage from the data sheet that comes with it. I normally do it by emptying the contents of the pipette into an egg cup, measuring it in a syringe, and then working out the dosage from there.

I would say mites too. You should get a vet to confirm this before treatment. Ivomectin is the common treatment as already stated. They may inject it rather than use spot on externally.

hi guys, no its deffernantly not his scent glands its in the middle of his back almost looks like he has pulled it out the skin is clean and dry ...

Check there is nothing on his wheel or hidey holes that could be catching the fur and give a spot on Ivermectin. Also, if you happen to give peanuts to the hammy, stop doing this. I've known peanuts cause hairloss/baldness in hammies and ratties.

is he long haired? have ypu changed anything in his cage? i had a hamster that was losing furr and it turned out that 1) i had oiled his wheel and the stuff was leaking on him when he went onit causing irritation and 2) sometimes long haired hamsters can get the furr caught in the spindle in the centre of the wheel causing the furr to be taken out. check the soindle bit for furr residue. i found some had attched it self- i eneded up getting a new wheel without spindle or at least a very small one and it really started to help, unfortunailty he died a week later due to an unrleted cause:(

he is short haired but he does have a few monkey nuts a week so i will stop this and see if that makes a difference i didn't realise this thank you i will also get the iver mectin just in case ..many thanks every one :D

and in fact the bald patch is in the spot where the spindle of the wheel would be so it could be rubbing ....good point :thumb:

Back