• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet insurance

jwr

Banned
HI- wondering just many of you have pet insurance for your bunnies i have just been given a quote from petplan for 2 rabbits at £20.59 a month its alot of money but i've learnt from this site that rabbits get ill alot and sometimes it can be very expensive....

That's good for 2 rabbits just make sure it's The For Life policy as well it costs me nearly £50 for 4 with Petplan all covered for life :wave:

That's good for 2 rabbits just make sure it's The For Life policy as well it costs me nearly £50 for 4 with Petplan all covered for life :wave:

yes its the for life one and its a multi pets one too , the excess is £55....think i will go for it ..

My rabbits only ever get ill in the middle of the night resulting in out of hours vets - I really wish I had insured them!

I looked the other day and one is about £7.50 a month, the other one was £6.98 from memory with Pets at Home. The other bunny is with Pet Plan which is more expensive.

Illnesses with rabbits is so unpredictable, my first two never got ill in 7.5 years and his sister in 9 years. However, in the last 4/5 years the bills would be over £5,000.00 for 3 bunnies. I have been covered for about £3,500.00 but not insured for the rest.

My last bill for my stasis bunny who was took in for 5 days and my other bunny had a sore eye was £687 and I just paid the excess and Petplan pay my vets directly :wave:

I'm with P@H too and just about to put in a claim for around £1000 which I racked up in the past month and a bit :shock: can't remember how much I pay but I think its around £20-25 for the pair :thumb:

That sounds reasonable. I'm lucky I didn't insure though. As it happens I got a quote, was about to buy it then Ludo got very ill with stasis. They wouldn't have covered him, of course, they wouldn't have covered any future stasis episodes AND I'd have had to pay the vet bill plus the insurance. So in my case I was lucky, but best case scenario was to be insured.

With my previous bunny, Harry, despite his health problems, it did work out cheaper not to insure though.

It depends entirely on the situation. A friend of mine spent £2k on a tooth abscess so she would have been better off with insurance!

all done

it says 'Your pets’ vet fees cover for injury started at the time shown above. Vet fee cover for illness will start in 14 days, on 23/02/2013.' so hope they dont get sick in the next 14 days that would be sods law :roll:

I just had my bunny in with gut stasis, an ultrasound was £83 catheterise was £43 plus all gut motility ,metacam, baytril etc soon added up, he died yesterday and i am so sad, i was insured with petplan and have to pay £55 but the bill came to £473 (plus cremate which i pay for too), it was such a relief to say do what ever is necessary to save him im insured and not worry about cost and to know i did everything possible is a huge comfort to me you cant put a price on that!

all done

it says 'Your pets’ vet fees cover for injury started at the time shown above. Vet fee cover for illness will start in 14 days, on 23/02/2013.' so hope they dont get sick in the next 14 days that would be sods law :roll:

Vet thought mine had pasturella on day 16 of my insurance i was frantically counting the days to make sure lol,,he didnt tho.

That sounds reasonable. I'm lucky I didn't insure though. As it happens I got a quote, was about to buy it then Ludo got very ill with stasis. They wouldn't have covered him, of course, they wouldn't have covered any future stasis episodes AND I'd have had to pay the vet bill plus the insurance. So in my case I was lucky, but best case scenario was to be insured.With my previous bunny, Harry, despite his health problems, it did work out cheaper not to insure though.

It depends entirely on the situation. A friend of mine spent £2k on a tooth abscess so she would have been better off with insurance!

Have a really good think through this as I fell into this category and didn't insure and it cost me dearly! You may be lucky of course but there are so very many things that can go wrong that you would still be covered for. I have 3 bunnies insured that are not covered for gastro-intestinal problems, one of them Barnaby got belly ache whilst the policy was coming into force so I was very unlucky.

Of the others not insured for gastro-intestinal, I decided not to insure Artie because of the exclusion and he went on to need bladder surgery £336 and has to have treatment and medication every 5 weeks for his bladder sludge condition costing about £350 a year for the rest of his life. He's also had problems with kidney stones costing a total of £1400. Luckily I did insure him before the kidney stones episode (despite 2 ongoing health problems), so got £1K of that cost back.

So many medical conditions can present as "stasis" and if you need them investigating it can easly cost a couple of hundred pounds, if it's then found to be another medical condition (ie stasis was not belly ache but secondary to pain) then the insurance will pay. I currently have Binky at the vets who looked like he had belly ache, it turns out he has spinal arthritis, which so far has cost about £200 and is likely to need more treatment in his lifetime so I'm really glad he's insured.

It's a gamble either way of course but I have 10 rabbits insured and most of them have developed some medical condition or other that has cost more than the insurance premium!

Frankie and Benny are insured for £20.59 per month, Willow is £11.00 per month. (both PETPLAN)

When Floppy went to vets i paid £189 for consultation, euthanasia and cremation:cry:

I just got my cheque back from insurance and I got £65 ( excess and euthanasia were deducted)

Last edited:
its deffernantly worth it tho i have only just taken it out it has already given me peace of mind , i have learnt being on this forum that bunnies get sick a fair bit and it can be very costly the fact they can live until about 12 years old i think it is the responsible thing to do and pet shops should promote and push pet insurance much more..

if you cant afford the insurance then you are not going to be able to afford the treatment if needed i think it should be made compulsory for all pets that have a life span of more than 5 years!

and if you cant afford to neuter then don't buy more than one animal , pet shops should incorporate that into the price and sell with them a voucher that can be used at the vets...

We had Honey and JayJay insured with pets at home insurance but the two claims we made were such a hassle we cancelled them both (though JayJay died).

We made claims for both Honey and JayJay in October last year, in December they cancelled both claims without consulting us claiming that the vet had failed to provide necessary information. Turned out the vets had forwarded everything but they did so again anyway. Phoned the insurance co back a few days later to confirm they had all the info required and once again was told the vet hadn't provided all the information. I told a white lie at this point and said that I had watched the vet fax the details so could they please look again. Amazingly they managed to find the info this time. :roll:

When JayJay died in November last year I phoned to cancel his policy but was told I had to pay the installments for the remainder of the year. I contested this and after a bit of arguing they said that I was correct and I wouldn't need to pay the final installments. At that point they also said that they'd refund me what I'd paid on the policy in between the phone call and JayJay dying (amouted to about £15 I think). However this month they have taken money from my account as usual so will need to ring them on Monday.

I'll deal with vet bills as they come in, after the hassle we had with pets at home we're just using a savings account and a credit card in the future.

I'm with P@H too and just about to put in a claim for around £1000 which I racked up in the past month and a bit :shock: can't remember how much I pay but I think its around £20-25 for the pair :thumb:

think we've hit the £1000 mark with sox in a month :shock:, insured with petplan and vets doing direct claim, but wouldnt be without him :love:

think we've hit the £1000 mark with sox in a month :shock:, insured with petplan and vets doing direct claim, but wouldnt be without him :love:

ouch! I've not added it all up but the 4 days in Cambridge came to £600 :shock: I wouldn't be without Imogen either :love:

petplan are the best i think, i have used them for years with my dog and never had a problem , having a savings account for vets bills is a good idea too , mind you , you have to be very self disciplined not to touch it when you need it for something else....

Back