• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tooth roots (question for experienced rabbit owners)

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I wonder if anyone knows what percentage of pet rabbits are thought to suffer from tooth root problems?

I wonder if anyone knows what percentage of pet rabbits are thought to suffer from tooth root problems?

I dont know of precise percentages, but the problem is relatively common as part of the overall situation with Dental Disease.

So a Rabbit with Dental problems at a relatively young age is likely to have some tooth root issues eventually. As Rabbits age their bone density changes too, this can contribute to tooth root issues.

This is why it is so important to manage any Dental Disease thoroughly from the outset to try to reduce the rate of progression of the condition So correct diet, Dentals under GA if needed- Just taking off spurs/sharp points is seldom sufficient. The crowns need to be re-shaped to afford the best occlusal surface. Taking the crowns almost down to gum level can also reduce the rate of tooth root elongation. None of this is possible to do in a conscious Rabbit. Skull Radiographs are also extremely useful in monitoring Dental Disease to provide as much information as possible to enable the Vet to manage the individual condition appropriately.

There is a grading system of Dental Disease which indicates when tooth root involvement occurs:

Normal (Grade 1): Ventral border of the mandible smooth, without elongated tooth roots penetrating the periosteum. Occlusal surfaces of the cheek teeth present a regular zigzag pattern. The roots of the upper and lower cheek teeth have a parallel, smooth, vertical linear pattern.
Grade 2 (early dental disease):
Ventral border of the mandible thin, with elongated cheek teeth roots and bony swellings where these penetrate the periosteum.
Grade 3 (tooth crown growth abnormalities, occlusal defects): Loss of the normal zigzag pattern of occlusion of the cheek teeth. Elongated tooth roots. Distortions of the teeth.
Grade 4 (major crown abnormalities, cessation of tooth growth): Broken crowns, tooth growth ceases. Teeth may appear more radiodense and have lost their linear pattern. Some roots may resorb. Loss of enamel leads to a blurred outline of the teeth.
Grade 5 (steomyelitis and abscesses):
pathological changes to the roots and surrounding bone; it may be difficult to determine the limits of adjacent teeth.

Taken from here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

Great info JJ. Scarlet's bad side is probably at 3 or 4 but she's not had a dental for 8 months now. Her bad side is now looking as if we may have to do something in the next couple of months but I suspect FHB will extract again rather than cut the current offending tooth back.

In addition to Jane's amazing information, I would imagine a lot of rabbits do not get a diagnosis, due to the high levels of neglect and also of misunderstandings with less savvy owners, so any percent would be unlikely to be accurate.

I currently have 5 bunnies with tooth root involvement out of 14- I am expecting roughly about 3 more (minimum) to develop these issues this year.

In addition to Jane's amazing information, I would imagine a lot of rabbits do not get a diagnosis, due to the high levels of neglect and also of misunderstandings with less savvy owners, so any percent would be unlikely to be accurate.

I currently have 5 bunnies with tooth root involvement out of 14- I am expecting roughly about 3 more (minimum) to develop these issues this year.

Thanks for replying. :wave:

Back