• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to take her or not?

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
we have an allotment and I was thinking in the summer when I go over there I could take Harvest our indoor bun somtimes , she could go in a run and hop around in that and munch on the grass whilst I weed etc, she will be sued to grass because i will be bringing it back for her along with other allotment safe weeds.
BUT would this move once a week stress her out too much?

I would personally say not.
My indoor bunnies don't like going outside. I think they feel a bit too vulnerable. The shadows of passing birds freak them out etc. You also have the added danger of it not being your own private land so you don't quite know who's been doing what.

Our allotments are unusual as they are all individually enclosed, so I know they are reasonably safe / clean from other animals getting in - although cats and foxes get into / over any fence or hedge. There may also be wild rabbits around with associated diseases that yours could pick up.

I have taken a rabbit down regularly as it was on the way back from the vet twice a week for his injections, and I used to pick up bunny forage on the way - he stayed in his carrier in the van most of the time, but did get the best freshly picked dandelions.

You would need a secure run (eg a folding metal one, or a big dog crate with no tray in it) with a fitted roof and some shelter from sun / rain, wind, etc. Something like a tarpaulin cover and a cat carrier would do - but would you want to carry the stuff there each time? Anything left on allotments tends to go missing...

Is your rabbit happy outside? Would you be able to watch it all the time? Is the ground fairly level so there would be no gaps under the run (dog crates have mesh on the base)? What would happen if bunny escaped? Does anyone take dogs there?

I'm not trying to put you off, but allotments are big places to loose a rabbit in and that would be heartbreaking.

I'd share the concern with regard to wild rabbits and disease. All of the allotments near us are full of wildies.

thanks folks some vaild points there that I hadnt thought of like the different shadows and noises that she wouldnt be used to, shes our first house bunny, we've kept outdoor buns for about 16yrs now so hadnt thought that she wouldnt be used to the different sights sounds smells etc, silly me, well, she can stay here and I will bring her home some goodies instead

Back