• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you wear gloves when touching hay?

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I never have, but my hands have become so dry and sore from tearing apart hay from the bale. I am seriously considering using gloves. My hands look awful at the moment.

No, I don't wear gloves.
If my hands start to dry out for any reason, I use a non scented emolient (vanishing cream) such as E45, which keeps them in good condition.

I've never really thought about hay drying hands out, but doing what I do in work my hands get ridiculously dry anyway! :roll: I've started using Johnsons Baby Lotion twice a day, it's made a difference and I just love the smell!

No, but I don't wear a coat or gloves when I go out in any weather either, perhaps I'm a rebel :lol:

Sally. my hands are a complete mess. i has more cuts ond weals on them due to the hay than I could ever hve imagined.... i should wer gloves but dont like gloves...

Sally. my hands are a complete mess. i has more cuts ond weals on them due to the hay than I could ever hve imagined.... i should wer gloves but dont like gloves...

That is what my hands are like, it's horrible, they look so rough :(

I wear gloves when I'm splitting up a bale as it wrecks my hands too.

I tend to wear gloves when I'm outside in winter anyway, otherwise my hands start looking and feeling a mess.

I don't get dry so much as get thorns embedded from any random brambles :roll: the neighbours must wonder what is happening to me when I yelp out everytime I put my hand into the bale haha

No but the amount of splinters i get probably means I should!:roll:

I do use Palmers every night though on my hands and feet,i love it!

I never have, but my hands have become so dry and sore from tearing apart hay from the bale.

This. When I used to buy small bags of hay I never did as the hay came apart easily but a few weeks ago I started using clean gardening gloves because my hands got sore and dry from tearing my new massive bale of hay. I also got a splinter in my hand from the hay so that's also why I use them. I'd also sometimes get dirt from the hay stuck under my nails, but don't anymore. :thumb:

Doesn't seem to affect my hands. The only issue I have it when I start a new bale and the space in the box is limited, can be tough pulling it out but once there's some space it breaks open easier. Get the occasional thistle though!

Nope, the only problems I've had with hay is when it's really cold outside and I can't seperate a really compact bale but it doesn't affect my hands

Would stabbing it with a pitchfork be of any use? I've always struggled trying to get bedding out of a compressed bale but found a pitchfork in the garage one day and since stabbing it all up you can just stick your hand in and get a load of bedding out no problem :)

yes, because i get an allergic reaction from hay, so I never touch hay. plus, I always would get hay splinters which are awful, made even worse since I'm allergic to hay so it'd feel like poison and get all pus filled.

yes, because i get an allergic reaction from hay, so I never touch hay. plus, I always would get hay splinters which are awful, made even worse since I'm allergic to hay so it'd feel like poison and get all pus filled.

Ouch yeah I've had a few hay splinters before, really long thin pieces stuck right through my finger :shock: But they weren't traumatising enough to make me want to wear gloves

I hate it.. My hands are sooooooo itchy after touching it...I stupidly tried rubber gloves one day but the hay ripped them into shreds!,!!

Nope, the only problems I've had with hay is when it's really cold outside and I can't seperate a really compact bale but it doesn't affect my hands

Would stabbing it with a pitchfork be of any use? I've always struggled trying to get bedding out of a compressed bale but found a pitchfork in the garage one day and since stabbing it all up you can just stick your hand in and get a load of bedding out no problem :)

:thumb: That's certainly the proper thing to handle bales of hay, but I haven't seen them for sale.
There's a gardening tool shaped like a claw with 3 round steel prongs. I wonder whether that would help?

:thumb: That's certainly the proper thing to handle bales of hay, but I haven't seen them for sale.
There's a gardening tool shaped like a claw with 3 round steel prongs. I wonder whether that would help?

If the ends look like they'd quite easily go through a bale then yeah it probably would help :)

Back