• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex bunnies

Hi
We are now to this site but are members of the guinea pig forum. Please may I ask you all a little advice? We are the proud owners of 2 bunnies Stripe and Poppy and also 3 pigs, so not novices ;) Today, I have seen a himi rex bun who has been fighting with his friend (they are now seperated) and he has half an ear which has been fixed by a vet :D He is free to a good home. I am a novice when it come to rex bunnies and this is were I need your advice. We do have room in our "Pig Brother House" a 6 x 8 fully insulated shed :)

The thing is ......................"To Home Of Not To Home" that is my question :)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

x

Do you mean the bunny can live in with the piggies ? I don't think rabbits and guinea pigs should live together if that's what ya mean :)

I'd agree that bunnies and pigs should never be kept together. You could maybe bond him your your current buns though? Are they all neutered?

Welcome to RU by the way! :D

Do you mean the bunny can live in with the piggies ? I don't think rabbits and guinea pigs should live together if that's what ya mean :)

Lordie noooooo :D We have pens in the "Pig Brother House" We have 3 spare pens which could be easily converted into one large pen. All the pigs are boys, tow live together and the other one lives by the side of the other 2 :)

Would there be room for a friend for him too if you get him neutered? And welcome to the forum too... :wave:

I'd agree that bunnies and pigs should never be kept together. You could maybe bond him your your current buns though? Are they all neutered?

Welcome to RU by the way! :D

Yes ....... both have had the necessary ops :D Thank goodness, and thank goodness for pet plan who coughed up twice when the lovely little lady took her own stiches out TWICE on a Bank Holiday Weekend ..............:shock: :shock: :shock:

Rex are a lovely breed, very fiesty and intelligent. They can often get problems with sore hocks due to having less fur on their feet than other breeds and I think can be prone to heart problems. You could try a bond with your existing pair but if it doesn't work you'd probably need to consider then getting him another bun to bond with, since he'd be outside I think it would be important for him to have a partner.

If you are ok with those potential negatives then I'd say go for it. i love rexes.

you need to consider whether or not he is a house bun (at this time of year you don't really want to be moving him in/out) possible medical complications although you have insurance on the others so I guess you would with this one :thumb: what would you do if the future bonding doesn't work out? If you bond him with your current buns and the bond breaks down can you house 3 seperate rabbits, or you could send him to a rescue to be bonded with another rabbit so you don't have that risk :thumb: have you got the space to quarenteen (sp?) him away from all the other animals ideally

Rexes are beautiful and so smart and sweet natured :love: Have only had 2 - my current mini rex Freckle and my mahoosive standard rex Banjo who died last year unfortunately :(

Would deffo put a lot of bedding down if he/she is to live in the shed to try and help sore hocks.. Freckle was really bad when I first rescued him but seems better after a few months of springy hay and straw to sleep on

you need to consider whether or not he is a house bun (at this time of year you don't really want to be moving him in/out) possible medical complications although you have insurance on the others so I guess you would with this one :thumb: what would you do if the future bonding doesn't work out? If you bond him with your current buns and the bond breaks down can you house 3 seperate rabbits, or you could send him to a rescue to be bonded with another rabbit so you don't have that risk :thumb: have you got the space to quarenteen (sp?) him away from all the other animals ideally

House bun is not an option as we have a dog :) We bonded the buns we have now which I have to say went swimmingly. Poppy and Stripe live in a triple decked extra large house of there own and our pigs live in the "Pig Brother House" a transformed 6x8 garden shed which is fully insulated. If he were to live in here we would need to make some minor mods. He would have approx 9 foot by 3 foot which would be double decked. I would add pics but dont know how ! We also have a wooden wendy house which was converted when poppy took her own stitches out twice and stripe had the snip. It is such a difficult decison and makes me sad thinking of him in a fish tank type of cage tonight :cry:

Rexes are beautiful and so smart and sweet natured :love: Have only had 2 - my current mini rex Freckle and my mahoosive standard rex Banjo who died last year unfortunately :(

Would deffo put a lot of bedding down if he/she is to live in the shed to try and help sore hocks.. Freckle was really bad when I first rescued him but seems better after a few months of springy hay and straw to sleep on

Having read quite a bit about them this aftenoon, I think we would part bed down with vet bed :)

I've just emailed someone about a rex that is free to good home, i am waiting to hear back from them. Good to know about them needing more bedding for sore hocks. Im going to do some reading up on them, fingers crossed they get back to me, he looks like a lovely boy and is only about 20 mins down the road from me :thumb: How big are they in relation to the french lop, does anyone know please?

Rex rabbits are gorgeous:D I have two myself and even used to breed them.

Mine are roughly 3 kgs, a lot smaller than a french lop (and yes they are standard). About half the size I would think though they can get bigger depending on their genetics.

You would need to look out for sore pawsbut its a lot easier to prevent than it is to treat.
Sore paws can happen due to humidity, overweight, hard surfaces and little exersize. So its important to make sure the rabbit lives in a dry clean environment, don't get fat, have a soft comfortable ground to stand on (I gave mine pillows but they kept breaking them:p Now they've got hay-beds) and of course they've got the free run of the shed, along with my normal-furred dwarf rabbit mix.

I've just emailed someone about a rex that is free to good home, i am waiting to hear back from them. Good to know about them needing more bedding for sore hocks. Im going to do some reading up on them, fingers crossed they get back to me, he looks like a lovely boy and is only about 20 mins down the road from me :thumb: How big are they in relation to the french lop, does anyone know please?

hi

this is not the same bunny as in my thread, we are no where near grimsby :)

House bun is not an option as we have a dog :) We bonded the buns we have now which I have to say went swimmingly. Poppy and Stripe live in a triple decked extra large house of there own and our pigs live in the "Pig Brother House" a transformed 6x8 garden shed which is fully insulated. If he were to live in here we would need to make some minor mods. He would have approx 9 foot by 3 foot which would be double decked. I would add pics but dont know how ! We also have a wooden wendy house which was converted when poppy took her own stitches out twice and stripe had the snip. It is such a difficult decison and makes me sad thinking of him in a fish tank type of cage tonight :cry:

If he is indoors currently (which it sounds like if he's in one of those fishtank cages :cry::cry:) then he NEEDS to stay inside until spring comes. Their bond might have gone well but not all bonds do so you need to bare that in mind, my first bond went well but I think if I had bonded them with a third it would have broken down however the second bond is so strong I think they'd cope fine :) like I said he needs to be kept away, not even in the same shed, from all of your animals both pigs and rabbits as well as any bigger 4 legs you own for at least 2 weeks or you run the risk of everyone catching something. It could be as "simple" as ring worm or even some sort of disease, there are some that transfer between rabbits and pigs. Putting him in the wendy house should be ok, as long as he is already an outside rabbit

Back