• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bellas got a bald patch!

el1983

Mama Doe
Cant believe ive only just noticed this, she been malting for wks now but she has a big bald patch on her back, its got alot of dandruff around it. I groom her with a brush and i always stroke her, she is a house rabbit. I noticed she has some shorter areas but there was new hair coming through once her undercoat has fallen out. I stroked her just now and felt a rough patch and theres a big bald patch! You cant see it when shes sat down, u have to part her fur to see it. Should i be worried :cry:

Sounds like mites perhaps? Leo had exactly what you describe when we were looking after him, when we 'rescued' him we took him to the vets and were given some treatment (can't remember what it's called..) and we brushed out the dandruff and dabbed the bald area with warm salty water and within a few days it had cleared up and within 2 weeks his fur had grown back:)

I would take her to the vets and they'll give you something to get rid of it if it is mites :)

Thank you i will get her booked in. Ill bath it with warm salt water give it a brush. Wonder where shes picked that up, we dont have any other animals.

Thank you i will get her booked in. Ill bath it with warm salt water give it a brush. Wonder where shes picked that up, we dont have any other animals.

I don't know either tbh. When we first met Leo he was in a shed in a tiny hutch and he had a lump of it basically. He didn't have much human contact (they would forget to feed him and do his water :() and no animal contact so I don't know how he can across it!

well im not sure about the dandruff you spotted but my outdoor rabbit, april, has had a little bald patch on her rump before now and I believe it was just because I over brushed her

Well it did say something about grooming but ill get her checked anyway, we are booked in for jabs at the start if march but im going to re book for nxt wk if i can, cant have her with a scabby back bless her!'

Pretty sure my vet said they can get the mites from hay. vet gave me Xeno450 (Ivermectin) to apply to the back of neck like you would do flea treatment for cats etc

Well i was saying to my mum, god knows where shes got them from as she diesnt have contact with other animals, so she has either got them from in the garden or something like hay, we buy it from the farm shop down the road, it seems to be quite dusty so im not getting it from there anymore, im going to order on line :thumb:

My bridge bun Rio had mites .The vet stated the hay can bring in the mites,she suggested freezing it for 24 hours before giving it to the the rabbits.They were house buns too.

My bridge bun Rio had mites .The vet stated the hay can bring in the mites,she suggested freezing it for 24 hours before giving it to the the rabbits.They were house buns too.

Bella has been treated for mites, i was getting my hay from our local farm shop, it was very dusty, i am no longer getting it from there, i have got a large pack from pets at home but at the end of the month i will be getting a bail off line from a dust free company. See if that helps.

Back