• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bear with a Sore Head ***unpleasant photos**** another January Rescue

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
The story of “A Bear with a Sore Head”…..

Bear was our first intake at Hopper Haven of 2013, arriving just after New Year.

His owner called to say that he had been attacked by a rat, but she was unable to take him to the vet.

When Bear arrived he made me cry…..he was covered in bites all over his body, bites all over his face and head, several so deep we could see the bone underneath. He had no skin at all left on the entire top of his head, face and ears, and his ears had holes big enough to push a cotton bud through.
He was full of infection and pain, his head was swollen and distorted and his ears were heavy and hot. How long he had been in this state is anyone’s guess, but these wounds were not fresh. The top of his head appeared to be “dead” as he would allow the regular cleaning and treatment required to enable the skin to heal and grow, but it was clear that any movement of his ears caused him pain.
Having been kept in a small hutch he also has muscle wastage, and was unable to hop.

I won’t share the early photos of Bears wounds as they are too distressing, but this little man, with Louise on his side, has shown how brave his is, and how sometimes, with the right care, how these little animals learn to trust again.

His wounds are healing nicely, and even the vet is amazed that the skin, and even the fur, has started to grow back.
He is such a sociable rabbit and will lean forward for a fuss, but he likes his food and will give you a nip if you’ve forgotten to bring him some!
He will need gentle rehabilitation to build up his muscles, and to continue the healing process for him. As soon as he is ready we will bond him with a partner.
The photos start at week 2 to week 5……..the layer of white cream that you can see in the photos is a cream that allows the skin to heal without it becoming a huge painful scab – his head will remain covered in this for several more weeks….

The early pics are rubbish quality - he'd been through so much we avoided any unnecessary disturbance to him, so the light is poor, and I literally just poked the camera through the bars.....

Day 12
1week1_zps0c8322ae.jpg

Day 19
2week2_zps8023e153.jpg

Day 26
4wek4_zpsa332aa75.jpg

Day 32
DSC04747_zps2129dd3f.jpg

Oh how sad.....but I'm so glad hes being looked after so well now ,I really don't know how you cope seeing cases like this ,I'm not sure I could do it.

Bear looks like he is very appreciative,bless his heart.

How do people allow these bunnies to get like this? It's beyond me.

I'm so glad he now has the attention and care he needs well done everyone at HH

What a wee darling :(

Really hope he continues to do well. So glad you are looking after him.

Oh My gosh :cry: Bless his little heart he has the sort of face that needs smothering in kisses :love:

Thank goodness he is now healing well. I hope he can put the psychological trauma of what has happened to him behind him as well xx

oh he really is healing very nicely! the wound will be gone very soon, that's great! good luck to the wee boy!
My bun had such wounds once..we never figured out what caused them, but they looked exactly the same way...we supposed it was an allergic reaction from something but the vet said she never saw something like that on a bun and even took photos of it...I hope we don't have a rat!
Anyway, my point was that she healed quite quickly and the fur grew back..and same will happen to this little boy (although the fur may be in a different colour:lol:0 hugs to the gorgeous bun!and it is great you did this for him!

Poor baby.
How can anyone let a bun or any animal suffer :(
So glad you have him now, give him some noserubs and noms for me. xxxx

Poor little man. :(:( You can see a huge improvement in those photos, I dread to think how awful he must have looked to start with. I'm so pleased he's safe and getting the love and care he needs, 2013 will be a much better year for him. :love:

Poor little fella:(:( Those pics are awful and well done to all that are caring for him:love: How did a rat get in...was it a pet rat? She should be prosecuted for it:evil:

Some people really make me angry :censored: Why couldn`t she take him to the vets herself? People working in rescues are amazing what would we do without you? Thank goodness he is safe now and on the road to recovery. Sending him lots of healing vibes.

Back