• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewbacca (now Chervil) - another January rescue

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Chewbacca (now renamed Chervil) was bought to Hopper Haven 3 weeks ago.

He is a stunningly beautiful boy, and only 9 months old, but he had never been groomed by his owner. He was bought to us as the owner didn't want to take him to the vet to be shaved.

Louise took one look at his condition and got the owner to sign him over to us.

The coat that was shaved off him was almost an inch thick mass, like a sheep fleece, and absolutely riddled with fur mites. He must have been so uncomfortable, and every single move he made the mass of fur tugged at his skin.

We didn't pause to take a "before" photo, but here is the "after" photo.......

DSC04751_zps0b94b3ed.jpg

The mass of fur

DSC04753_zps2c97cdfd.jpg

DSC04749_zps2115e048.jpg

Because its cold we thought it best to get him bonded as soon as possible, so last week he made friends.....

DSC04757_zps479e3d72.jpg

(Please note that they are in a bonding pen, not their final home which will be a large enclosure....and its not wee on the back wall but chopped straw that has caught on the bricks!!)

Poor little Chervil, but at least he is now in safe, caring and loving hands.:thumb:

Alice at Windwhistle had a bunny signed over a couple of weeks ago. Maxie Bloo had a doughnut style matting all around his body. I imagine he had never been groomed.:( His matting was so dense it felt more like solid growths than matted fur. Alice's vet has shaved half of it off and managed to blunt three sets of blades in doing it. Maxie Bloo will have the rest shaved off in a couple of weeks. He needs time to recover from the GA. The vets had never seen a bunny in such a matted state.

Luckily Maxie Bloo and Chervil are in the best of hands now.:thumb::thumb::D

reminds me so much of Fuzzy, a bunny we took in with a similar coat :cry:

I love the white bunny with the black ears :love: We don;t see enough pictures of the Hopper haven bunnies ;)

reminds me so much of Fuzzy, a bunny we took in with a similar coat :cry:

I love the white bunny with the black ears :love: We don;t see enough pictures of the Hopper haven bunnies ;)

I know...I really need to start blogging more regularly.

Lily, the only female in this new group of four was obsessed with Chervils lovely ears...during bonding she'd jump from male to male checking them out, but she couldn't stop chinning Chervs ears...it was hilarious to watch her :))

The white bun with black ears is Evan, a gorgeous 3year old with a terrible digestive system...he's a lovely bunny but so difficult to keep his weight up

Last edited:
Oh the poor mite. Is he a cashmere? He reminds me of my Baby Pearl. I'd never take on another cashmere bun, the amount of time and dedication they need is incredible. :(

Oh the poor mite. Is he a cashmere? He reminds me of my Baby Pearl. I'd never take on another cashmere bun, the amount of time and dedication they need is incredible. :(

No he's not a cashmere, but I'm guessing when his fur regrows he's going to be high maintenance.

We have two sisters Bo and Peep who are cashmere lops and their coats can be a nightmare, although they are shaved regularly in the summer so that they can enjoy living outdoors with their friends without the worry of their coats getting really matted. I'll have to post a picture of some of ours that get shaved in the summer....they really look funny for the first week, but the benefits are huge!

They will make a handsome group. :love: Is the bunny in the back corner of the bonding photo a REW?

Atreides is a BEW. He originally came to us in 2006 and was rehomed with Salvia. They returned to us when their mum emigrated to Australia, but continued to sponsor her babies.

Salvia developed a heart condition just over a year ago, but we lost her a few weeks ago. Atreides was distraught and so he was quickly bonded with Lily and Evan, and now Chervil too!

Atreides is a very pretty boy and does the best "dead rabbit" you've ever seen - he's made my heart drop a few times I can tell you!!!

Back