• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really stupid question regarding rabbit eyes

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Can you get rabbits with red eyes who have colour as opposed to being pure white? I was just thinking and don't think I've ever seen one. Or am I right in thinking that Jaysmonkeys Max (?) is whitey/grey and red eyed?

No but some may look like they have red eyes in bright sunlight or in certain photo's. The only exception is in lutino rabbits, which have orange or fawn fur but pink eyes but they're incredibly rare

tanlutino.jpg

Himalayans :love::love::love:

Ripple.jpg

Completely forgot about them :lol: so yeah you can get rabbits with black, blue, chocolate or lilac 'points' and red eyes, the ones with the himalayan colouring

Rabbits with blue eyes do sometimes do look like they have reddish eyes, it's a lighting thing

Yes i have one and they are called Lutino, a very rare mutation in rabbits.

The action of the gene partially dilutes coat color, and dilutes eye color to pink
Genetically she is a black.

422CIMG5770.jpg

932CIMG5769.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, of course!

Maximus has red eyes, he isn't Himalayan either. He's a German lop makimoopoo.
525759_199738923471706_1831537757_n.jpg

484527_260820907363507_156585815_n.jpg

Roger also has pink/red eyes in every light. You can just about see here. They are very dark though.
488278_263925783719686_1804083763_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, of course!

Maximus has red eyes, he isn't Himalayan either. He's a German lop makimoopoo.
525759_199738923471706_1831537757_n.jpg

484527_260820907363507_156585815_n.jpg

Roger also has pink/red eyes in every light. You can just about see here. They are very dark though.
488278_263925783719686_1804083763_n.jpg

Maximus is a himalayan in agouti and probably blue based which is a different variety of a himalayan, though agouti and himalayan are an unwanted combination for breeders and show.
A normal himalayan is black self but shows dark brown color points on the ears, muzzle, feet, tail but you can breed a himalayan with all sorts of genes like agouti, otter, sooty, harlequin in the 4 base colors black/blue/chocolate/lilac.

Roger is not much different either, he is a siamese sable which is a shaded color, and almost every shaded rabbit has a ruby cast like roger which is common.

The C-locus consists of genes who gradually takes away color pigment until no pigment is left. It starts with removing pigment partially.
C = the most dominant and common gene in the C-locus, which means that the rabbit has normal pigmentation and color expression, like a chestnut for example
chld = the chinchilla gene, takes the yellow pigment away and turns a chestnut rabbit into a chinchilla, which is a chestnut without the yellow pigment, they also may have a different eye color like blue.
chl = the shaded gene, misses the yellow pigment but also loses some black pigment and turns a chinchilla into a frosted pearl who is almost white with few black hairs spread on the body, other shaded colors are siamese sable, sable point, smoke pearl, pointed blue, silver marten, sable marten. This gene also gives a ruby cast to the siamese sable and smoke pearl.
ch = the himalayan gene, no yellow pigment and has almost lost all black pigment, except for the short haired body parts like the muzzle, ears, feet, tail and leaves the rest white without pigment.
c = the red eyes white gene (albino), the black pigment is completely gone and leaves a white rabbit without any color pigment.

Last edited:
No but some may look like they have red eyes in bright sunlight or in certain photo's. The only exception is in lutino rabbits, which have orange or fawn fur but pink eyes but they're incredibly rare

tanlutino.jpg

WOW....:love:.... What a gorgeous gorgeous bunny!!,!,!,!, xxx

What a fascinating thread! :thumb:

I have quite often seen pics of red-eyed but coloured fur guinea pigs, but thought red-eyed rabbits were always white or himalayan.

I have often wondered how you get REWs in litters where the Mum has dark fur - would this mean Dad had white fur, or is the white fur a recessive gene both parents could have carried?

Hi Sidney and thank you. Maximus doesn't have dark feet and never has he's actually almost completely white in summer months. Is he still Himalayan?

I think when you refer to Siamese sable you are actually talking about my fluff Jemimah, Roger is the Dutch like lionhead. His eyes a you explained are continuously ruby no matter on light. The ruby is actually the pupil , the iris is the normal brown.

Last edited:
Imogens pupils are ruby, not just appear to be in certain lights, constantly. They also look like red eye in photos when lights shine directly on them, paired with her blue and blue/brown eye its strange. Dad calls her devil eyes :roll:

Imogens pupils are ruby, not just appear to be in certain lights, constantly. They also look like red eye in photos when lights shine directly on them, paired with her blue and blue/brown eye its strange. Dad calls her devil eyes :roll:

That's just like Roger :)

What a fascinating thread! :thumb:

I have quite often seen pics of red-eyed but coloured fur guinea pigs, but thought red-eyed rabbits were always white or himalayan.

I have often wondered how you get REWs in litters where the Mum has dark fur - would this mean Dad had white fur, or is the white fur a recessive gene both parents could have carried?

That was the case until recently the lutino gene was found in rabbits.

You get a rew when both parents carry the rew gene, it doesn't matter what color the are.
The rew gene is recessive and needs 2 alles "cc" to be present to show itself, every recessive gene needs 2 copies to show it's identity or it will stay hidden and carried.
If both parents carry a recessive "c" gene and you breed them.. there is a 25% possibility that both the "c" genes of the parents meet eachother and become "cc" and then you have a red eyed white.

The red eyed white gene is actually a white sheet that covers the initial color of the rabbit and hides its true colors and it's whole genotype.
So when you have 2 black rabbits who carry red eyed white and produce a white kit.. then you will know that the black genotype is hidden under that white sheet.
Every rew hides a different color under its white sheet.. for example.
A rew can be AABBccDDEE but also aaBBccDdEj at the same time, both are genotypically different looking rabbits but the white sheet has covered them and hides their true identity.

Hi Sidney and thank you. Maximus doesn't have dark feet and never has he's actually almost completely white in summer months. Is he still Himalayan?

I think when you refer to Siamese sable you are actually talking about my fluff Jemimah, Roger is the Dutch like lionhead. His eyes a you explained are continuously ruby no matter on light. The ruby is actually the pupil , the iris is the normal brown.

Yes he still is a himalayan but not the usual type, he might be broken or a charlie or even vienna marked that covers his dark points, every combination is possible. He could even be vienna marked and broken at the same time which adds even more white to its body.

Both the lionheads look siamese sable to me, are they not the same color if you take away the white vienna markings of Jemimah?
What color are rogers eyes? If they are blue then that's because of the vienna gene that he is carrying, the white markings is a mark of the gene.

Last edited:
Back