• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The loss of a rabbit

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Did anyone else feel like they couldn't enjoy their remaining rabbits after one had passed away?

Every aspect of looking after Brian makes me feel a bit sad because Molly should be there.

I went to the farm to pick up some more hay for the first time after her passing and I just feel really wrong about it because it's not for Brian and Molly anymore. I sort of felt guilty?

He's due his vaccinations soon as well and I'm just dreading it.

Last edited:
I don't have experience of this, but bumping this as I hope someone else may be able to comment.

Thinking of you. xx

I've always found that throwing myself into the care of remaining animals is really cathartic, it seems to help the grieving process. While of course you are not thinking that 'it should have been you' but being around the other bun brings back memories which can seem stronger than the present, but as time goes by the character of the bun shines through and reminds you why you love them, memories don't go but they become what they are, memories. You almost form a new bond because something has changed so much.

It's hard but I often don't feel I've properly grieved until I've moved on somehow, with my last bun I didn't grieve until after a had brought Thor and Loki home. But it's grieving with a touch of happiness as there is still life.

Xxx

When I've lost a cat or dog, I've needed the remaining cat or dogs to give me comfort. Yes, I've felt sad about putting one dog bowl down or whatever but I've comforted them (tough if they didn't need it!) and they've comforted me. I definitely needed it.

It was a sudden loss wasn't it? And that is never an easy one.
Guilt is one of the stages of grief and should pass with time.
I have not yet lost any of my rabbits, and yet know the day is coming and most likely it will be Mimzy first.
He was my first rabbit, and as such has a very special place in my heart. As much as I love my other two, even though they are none of them bonded, I will be at a loss when it is only two that are there to care for. I always wanted them to be a trio and it doesn't look like that will ever happen. Somehow it feels like the two of them will be incomplete without him, even though they don't all live together in one space, they know of each other and one missing will be felt, even if only distantly.

One can't help but feel that unfairness at seeing a remaining one of a pair of bunnies...I think it's natural to go through this.
We get used to seeing something as it is and anything that disturbs that balance leads to feelings of being cheated or frustration.
Does Brian seem to be needing a friend? Were you thinking of introducing a new partner?

I will be thinking of you and Brian as he goes in for his jabs. All we can do is take one day at a time. (((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) xx

It was a sudden loss wasn't it? And that is never an easy one.
Guilt is one of the stages of grief and should pass with time.
I have not yet lost any of my rabbits, and yet know the day is coming and most likely it will be Mimzy first.
He was my first rabbit, and as such has a very special place in my heart. As much as I love my other two, even though they are none of them bonded, I will be at a loss when it is only two that are there to care for. I always wanted them to be a trio and it doesn't look like that will ever happen. Somehow it feels like the two of them will be incomplete without him, even though they don't all live together in one space, they know of each other and one missing will be felt, even if only distantly.

One can't help but feel that unfairness at seeing a remaining one of a pair of bunnies...I think it's natural to go through this.
We get used to seeing something as it is and anything that disturbs that balance leads to feelings of being cheated or frustration.
Does Brian seem to be needing a friend? Were you thinking of introducing a new partner?

I will be thinking of you and Brian as he goes in for his jabs. All we can do is take one day at a time. (((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) xx

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was a very sudden loss.
Brian seems absolutely fine, he knows and understands she's gone but seems to be the same old Brian.
I'm not getting anymore rabbits for several reasons but I'm going to see how Brisn copes and figure out my choices then.

Back