• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would this set up be ok?

Hi:wave:

Im looking for some advice, we took on 2 girl rabbits in the summer fully grown unwanted pets, currently they have their hutch and run bog standard set up for them, currently on concrete due to digging!

Now here is the plan we have a large beer garden and I have a spare corner probably 20ft by 12ft but can use more. My plan is to lay down and bury chicken wire then re-seed the area. I like the thought of using picket fencing as a boundary with lots of hiding places from birds of prey etc.Would this work or do they really need a wire cage/avairy set up?

Thanks

Personally I think they really need to have a secure roof. Picket fence is easily jumped, both by buns, cats, foxes and dogs (and possible children tool in a pub garden!)

The space sounds fantastic though, very lucky bunnies :love:

That sounds a lovely lot of space for them.

There are quite a few threads on here about making your run/hutches secure from foxes. I would say that's one of the most important things as a lot of people have lost bunnies to foxes when their hutch seemed fox proof.

Thanks for your quick replies :D
the girls would be popped in their hutch each night when we put the chickens and ducks to bed. I will look into proper runs for them or how to put a roof on the area!

This sounds like a nice set up but be weary of any foxes/cats etc in the area. My grandparents neighbours have something similar with the picket fence and it looks lovely :wave:

Buns can easily jump a 4 foot fence..and foxes can easily jump 7-8ft..and don't just come out at night! i've seen foxes in my garden from 8am (outside my patio doors) till 4 in the afternoon, where I've caught them snoozing in the sun! A fully enclosed aviary would be best..corrugated plastic roof at an angle is great if you want to go in with them when it is raining, but means grass doesn't grow! I tried laying turf over wire mesh..most of it died, as I couldn't water it every day! And the grass that did grow died over winter and turned into muddy worm piles :shock:

Back