• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

helping a rabbit with breathing difficulties ud post 18

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Imogen has some sort of lung/bronchial infection (patches of air loss on xray, cultures being grown atm) shes on metacam and baytril while we wait for the results to come back but her breathing is laboured and fast is there anything I can do to help her?

Last edited:
Steamy bathroom? Or a room with the window open?
Id call Marion ask her advice if there's anything you can get for it then get it at the vets closest to you! xxx

inside yes and window is always open (with a heater on :lol:) will call on Monday as I know shes there on Mondays :thumb:

Madonna says a thing called bisolvon is a mucalitic (sp) it helps break up any mucuos in the lungs.
Which could help her breathe better if its a lung infection.
I was there this morning anyway and asked so may be worth asking Marion if shed recomend that to help.
Biscuit has been a monkey and chewed his neuter wound. :roll:
I should pay rent at the vets.. xx

Last edited:
I don't actually know if there is any mucous in her lungs, how would you know?

with a lung infection it usually produces mucous, um I think you may be able to hear it if you listened, I know when I have a chest infection my asthma flares up and the mucuous makes it difficult to breathe, it sounds crackly.
Call your vets and see first anyway, they would be able to say if its a good idea as they've seen her, maybe pop her to your usual vet and they can listen to her chest?
How is she now?

I don't want to drive her anywhere atm, her breathing was worryingly fast yesterday in the car and she isn't ill because of the effort at the moment. Although obviously if I become worried I'd take her in! I'll dig out my stethascope later and listen to her chest, Mrs Ford didn't mention any crackling :)

Shes doing well, bright, eating, moving around :thumb:

I don't want to drive her anywhere atm, her breathing was worryingly fast yesterday in the car and she isn't ill because of the effort at the moment. Although obviously if I become worried I'd take her in! I'll dig out my stethascope later and listen to her chest, Mrs Ford didn't mention any crackling :)

Shes doing well, bright, eating, moving around :thumb:

if she's still ok just now id assume it'll be ok till you need to take her back assuming that's like Monday?
If she gets any worse though id be popping along to be safe rather than sorry, or if your worried about what you hear.
The steam thing will help her just now as well though.
Id just run a bath with some salt in it or just plain water, and let her have a wee run around for 5-10 mins.
when do you find out the results? xxx

Jane knows quite a bit about lungs etc im sure, she told me to keep an eye on parsley after he choked, maybe pm her and see if she has any better advice?

we're back in Cambridge on the 25th but I'm in regular contact with my normal vets, they told me just to keep an eye on her. I think I need to make note of her resp rate once or twice a day so I can see if its going up or down, if she needs a change of antibiotic I will nip her down to the vets anyway when I collect it so they can check her over. Its a bit of a difficult situation, obviously I need to make sure she's ok and sometimes that means a car trip but then the car trip makes her breathing even worse so makes the whole situation worse! :roll::lol: will drop her a message in a bit :thumb:

What's oxygen therapy? :wave:

we're back in Cambridge on the 25th but I'm in regular contact with my normal vets, they told me just to keep an eye on her. I think I need to make note of her resp rate once or twice a day so I can see if its going up or down, if she needs a change of antibiotic I will nip her down to the vets anyway when I collect it so they can check her over. Its a bit of a difficult situation, obviously I need to make sure she's ok and sometimes that means a car trip but then the car trip makes her breathing even worse so makes the whole situation worse! :roll::lol: will drop her a message in a bit :thumb:

What's oxygen therapy? :wave:

Bun is put into an oxygen chamber with a high percentage o2 mixture to assist with oxygenating the body :)

Is that the same as nebulising?

Not quite, with nebulising its often some form of clearing out the system, and thinning down secretions etc, but yes, i suppose its very similar :)

Eg, with nebulising Ginger, we use F10SC veterinary antibacterial cleaner (sounds bad doesnt it!) or saline. That then gets airated for her to breath it in.
With oxygen therapy, its pure oxygen going in.

hmm, worth asking about. I can't find any equipment cheaply though which is a pain, I'll speak to the vets and my mum later mum is bound to know where to get something! :lol:

My last rabbit had fluid on the lungs (and a heart problem). I actually found that keeping her COOL not too hot helped her breathing a great deal. Best Wishes xxxx

I'll call in a sec and see if she'll give me a bell before leaving :thumb:

eta: shes going to ring after clinic finishes, Twigs how and why do you use your nebuliser? I know a lady with COPD who uses one daily and I always assumed it was used just to open the airways a bit which could potentially help Immy

Last edited:
Mrs Ford just rang, she said that nebulising may well be helpful and they were considering talking to me about it once the results were back. I'm to hold off until the results are back so that we can tailor the nebulisation to her condition (if its infection she needs anti bs, if its inflamation she needs steriods, and some things won't be helped by neb) which should be early/mid week :thumb: So just need to keep her calm and well for now

Back