• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What decongestants do you give?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
What decongestants do you give your snuffle buns?

Grim has one that's nebulised, which I can never spell or pronounce, but I would like to try him on bisolvon again. The last time he had it he stopped eating for two days and Grim NEVER EVER stops eating. :? However a load of yellow gunk came out of his eye at the same time and I think the bisolvon worked and really shifted some of his infection and it was really painful for him. He is nebulised F10 and two lots of nebulising is getting quite stressful for Grim and is very hard for me too. If he could get on with something oral it would be best for both of us.

Is there an alternative to bisolvon?

I used to mix bisolvon with a little echinacea and water and Santa would drink it from the syringe. I also used metacam as that is anti-inflammatory. And I nebulised with F10. And had antibiotics. I have a feeling some people use parvolex in the nebuliser instead of bisolvin.

Hope you can find a way of keeping Grim both comfy and with minimal stressful procedures x

Thanks both.

Grim is on a cocktail of other drugs, two antibiotics (one oral one injected), anti inflammatory/painkillers, eye drops, eye cream, F10 and the thing I can't pronounce. It's quite a lot for one bun every day of their life. He is mostly used to it, but he's started to get a bit stressed in the nebuliser. I think it's more annoyance at being trapped, but I don't like to keep him in there so long every day. With moth meds it's an hour. :?

matt goes through phases where he gets huffy about being nebulised. he will give me the run around when he doesn't want to go in. he seems to do it more when he is doing better and must feel he doesn't need it, or when he's very bad and doesn't want the mucus to start to move down his nostrils. most of the time he is fine with it though. i do think they go through phases where they get a bit annoyed by it all. :(

as you know, we nebulised parvolex and saline, then parvolex, saline and genticin, and now it's just saline, then saline and geticin every 4-6 weeks or so for a week.

i don't know how long you nebulise for but when matts not as bad and he's a bit huffy, i only do 20mins each time. when he's acting fine he does 25mins each time, and as he starts to get more bunged up i do 30mins and order his stronger meds, which i then do 25mins of for the week.

i wish parvolex was still available for you to try, it was so good for matt. we had no luck with f10, it made matts eyes and nose all red and sore looking. :( he hated being nebulised with that stuff. i don't know if it was hurting him or he just didn't like something about it.

genticin has also been another great thing aswell. it's really strong but does the job.

it can be stressful nebulising i know, and tiring aswell. and then seeing them upset is hard aswell.

i don't know what to suggest oral meds wise, as we never really found anything that worked for matt, even in combinations. bisc did really well on penicillin injections though.

i think it's just a case of swapping and trying things, but i do think nebulising is the best thing, aswell as metacam. but like you say, when they are getting stressed it's hard to know what to do for the best because you don't want the stress to make them worse. :(

xxx

Back