• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moving on after traumatic loss, new bun? UD post 12

Jenny Jump

Warren Scout
4 weeks ago we lost one of our bonded Dutch rabbits to a savage cat attack. As a gut reaction her sister came to live in the house with us, because I could not think of her being alone and afraid in the garden. This way she also gets more time out of her hutch, because, at the moment there is no way rabbits can safely play unsupervised. We think the cat is getting 're-homed soon, so it should get safer. There are few cats locally, foxes are more of an issue, but our buns were always shut safely in their hutch at night. We kept rabbits this way for 15 years without any problem.

Anyway, we are all feeling better now and last night we had a family discussion about the best way forward. Basically we have different opinions, Jenny to stay a house rabbit (single), or to move her back to the garden in the spring and try to find a husband for her so that she will not be lonely during the hours we are not in the garden.

I am keen to do the best for Jenny. She will be 7 this summer and does not have on going health issues. Do you think she will still feel territorial about her outdoor hutch and garden in a few months time? She seems okay about being a house rabbit, at first she was very quiet, but now she is getting more adventurous and energetic.

Last edited:
Definitely get her a husbun. See if some of the local rescues have a bun hat is close to her age. It wold be so sad to see her pend her remaining years alone, even if inside

That is the majority feeling at home. I think so long as our vet is happy to spay her, that we will look for a rescue bun for her.

When you say garden do you allow her to free-range without supervision?

If so I would advise a good quality run with weld mesh to protect against any future predators when you are not around.

I agree Amy, I feel a design and make project coming on.

cpayne, thank you. I am getting to the point where I just feel sad for the loss of a much loved pet, rather that remembering that awful day. It has been so different to losing a pet to natural causes. It helps that we still have Jenny to be good carers to, like her sister she is a delightful little bunny.

I will be sure to let you all know our progress as the months go on.

Since starting this thread we have had some bad news. It turns out that Jenny is not as healthy as we thought. Last week Jenny stopped eating, she was due at the vet that day for vaccination and talk about spay, but I did not wait till the evening. The vet did an x-ray which showed some of the bones in her spine have started to fuse. Poor little sweetheart must have been in pain for some time. She is doing so much better now, but I am thinking twice as to whether a new bond is best for us. I would like to have a clearer picture of likely progression of her condition before getting another rabbit companion for her.

Oooh, what horrible news.... Lots of noserubs to Jenny. I hope she isnt too uncomfortable..

Hugs to you too for your loss

Fee xxx

I take it she's now on daily pain killers for her spine?
You could look at still getting her a husbun and keeping them both indoors?
Could go for a similar age husbun for her?
Sorry to hear this update :( xx

Things are looking up. Jenny seems to be pain free on her meds. The vet thinks her back condition is no reason to keep her indoors (once the weather improves) and that a new companion would be good for her. She is also happy to spay her, (though I do feel anxious about that). We are going to wait a bit longer before we do anything, but tonight I fell much more optimistic about Jenny's future.

You'd be able to keep a closer eye on her health problems inside. I think I personally would keep her inside to monitor her, and have a secure hutch and run set up outside for nice days. With a poorly back, bonding might be difficult since rabbits like to hump, if you do get her a husbun you'll have to choose carefully for one that will be pretty gentle with her, though it might not stop her from humping him :lol:

Good luck with what you choose, I think both options could work, though I would say when it gets cold to bring her in, as that won't help her back at all.

Jenny is doing really well, with our vet's advice I have been slowly reducing the metacam to the point that the next reduction will give such a low dose that the vet says it will have no effect. If she is okay then we can stop giving her the medicine. Last weekend she was in the garden for a short time, leaping and jumping like a two year old. We have pretty much decided to get a husband for her, but we have to get her spayed first, the RSPCA insist on that, even though we would want a neutered male for her. I understand the reasons to get her spayed, she was supposed to get done the same time as her sister but the vet we saw those days said she was too fat. Our current vet thinks she is okay to be spayed, it's me who is worried because of her age.

Back