• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it just a sprain?

Bethica

New Kit
I've been looking for help for a few days and everybody on this site seemed friendly and knowledgeable so I hope you can help!
About 10 days I was bringing my bunnies into the living room as they hadn't got out in the garden due to all this snow, I was putting Poppy my 9(ish) month old down and she decided to wriggle and jump (Jumped down about 1-1.5ft) and then wouldn't use one of her hind leg. Due to being an unemployed full time student with financial difficulties for my parents and trying to get all the money together possible in case she needs the vets!
But now, she's started putting a bit of weight on it after being out for about 10 minutes or so... she hops about fine, it doesn't feel broken and she doesn't struggle and seem uncomfortable if I touch/move her leg, it isn't sitting funny or moving funny when she does, it's just not being used properly yet.
I was advised by a friend (he claims to know a lot but I'm not sure) that it's probably just sprained, do you think it is?
I've literally no money to get her the vets, but if it sounds serious the vets will have to wait for payment... there isn't any clinics near myself that help with vets fees.
Also, how much do you think it would cost to treat this if it was broken?

Thanks for reading, Beth x

Hi,

She really does need to see a vet. It's impossible for anyone to say whether it's broken or not without a proper look. The fact that she still isn't using it properly 10 days after the jump suggests that it is still causing her significant discomfort, and this needs looking at quickly even if it isn't broken. Rabbits are designed not to show pain, so she may well be hiding the true extent of it.

I would suggest booking her in for an appointment straight away, and explaining your situation...perhaps the vet can offer advice on payment plans or schemes you can use, but you must have her seen.

Please keep us posted on what the vet says. Lots of vibes for her.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, I'm very happy to help her as I don't want her suffering... but bills are just super expensive, I'm sure there is a vets out there somewhere that will take payment plans :/ Or at least I hope so, I'll try get her in this week and keep you posted :)

Thank you

Hi, welcome to the forum. :wave:

My bunny sprained his front foot jumping at the vets a month ago. The vet checked it thoroughly so I know it was sprained. He held it up a bit for about 2-3 days but after that was weight-bearing. He never stopped using it to groom. The fact that your bunny is still showing symptoms 10 days later would also ring alarm bells for me as that sounds like too long for a simple sprain. Also, the fact that it's a hind leg makes it more serious as she could be having to use it even when it's painful, just to hop around.

You really have to be careful with bunnies in pain. They hide it well but if it gets too bad they can stop eating and then they can get seriously ill.

Like AnnieElms said, you need to see a vet, I know times are hard, but it really is your responsibility to your bun. I'm sure there must be some options if you ring round different vets in your area and explain the situation.

Thanks, I've never owned a bunny before (these 2 are my first and I love them to bits!! I was in tears when she hurt herself at first :( ) and yeah, I'm beginning to get a little worried now... it just doesn't seem right, she bares a little weight on it but not loads, she's still eating/drinking right now and as active as she was before but I'm not convinced, hopefully my local vets will take payment plans... we've took all our animals there over the years and always paid so hopefully they'll trust us.. I'm going to give them a ring first thing in the morning!

Definitely worth a try, even if you offer a flat amount up front so they know they'll get something! Good luck! I know what it's like I was a student when I had Harry and the bills can hit you hard!

Back