• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy has stopped eating -U/D has to stay another night

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Flopsy is poorly. I just went out to ths bunnies , gave flopsy his 0.5ml of metacam which he has twice a day for tooth root problems (he's been on it since may) . Put the egg cup full of pellets in their bowl for him and lily and he didn't come bounding over . I tried to hand feed him some pellets but he chucked them about but I managed to hand feed him six small excel pellets , he is also still shaking his ears and head. So i've brought him in mashed up some SS pellets til they were a liquid and have syringe fed him he kept trying to refuse , spat quite a bit out but I managed to get him to gave about 0.8mls (we don't have any recovery food ) his dental op was on Monday and all spurs were sorted also they removed the grass seed from his ear but he's just not right :( his previous dental last year the same happened . I'm so worried he'll go into stasis :( he's quite clearly in pain and his poo's are quite dark and small .

Last edited:
Poor lad

Did the Vet prescribe a course of antibiotics after removing that nasty from his ear ? It may be that an infection has now occurred.

Does the ear feel unusually warm and/or look redder than normal ? Have a smell of the ear canal too. A nasty smell can indicate infection.

Poor lad

Did the Vet prescribe a course of antibiotics after removing that nasty from his ear ? It may be that an infection has now occurred.

Does the ear feel unusually warm and/or look redder than normal ? Have a smell of the ear canal too. A nasty smell can indicate infection.

Thanks for replying Jane . Just checked his ears they seem fine don't smell and don't seem inflamed to me and are quite cool , nope we didn't get anything else but looks like we'll be taking him back as I don't want his gut to stop :(

Sending vibes for Flopsy.

Have you tried leaving a bowl of slightly softened pellets with him? This sometimes works with Spenser, and might be less stressful than syringe-feeding.

I had the same problem with pebs after his last dental..he took longer to get over the anesthetic and was reluctant to eat (i guess he remembered it hurt to eat) but I tried some organix baby food, and he lapped it up off the spoon...then I slowly added ground pellets to it. If i added too much he refused it, so it was slow going for a while. he also didn't like it from a syringe, but would take it from a teaspoon.

I've tried everything to get him to eat , pellets , grass , herbs . He's been in two hours now no wee or poor either and he seems to be in pain . i've just phoned up and spoke together receptionist unfortunately John isn't in til Friday but she's just going to ring him and get back to me .

Hi everyone thanks for the replies. Went along to the vets our normal vet wasn't in but we saw another, she listened to him and said his gut doesn't sound as good as it should be so he has been admitted along with lily to keep him company and he will be monitored and given the injections he needs (pain relief, gut stimulants) so hopefully he will be better very soon. I took along their 32L litter tray filled with hay so they had something to familiar with and they have lots of toys with them too :)

The vets rang earlier unfortunately I wasn't up to answer the call but my Dad did. Flopsy is still not eating by himself but's taking the syringe feeding and he's started to poo unfortunately they've got to stay another night .

Hope Flopsy gets better soon.

It's awful when they are unwell and aren't at home with you. At least Flopsy is getting good care. Hope you get your little one back tomorrow and Flopsy is eating again.

Back