• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

oscar is poorly, not eating. u/d post 8. U/D post 15, he's gone..

aalur

Warren Scout
Hi all,
Oscar is 2 years old, 2 days ago i found him lethargic with a very slight head tilt to the left, he just wasn't his normal self, he wasn't particularly interested in food, even when i offered him fenugreek crunchies, his favourite! i rushed him straight to the vets, who checked his teeth, all seem fine, and they said because of the head tilt, it could be E Cuniculi, so gave me some panacur and told me he needed it for 28 days, they also gave him a shot of vomend, a shot of metacam, and one of baytril. they told me to syringe feed critical care, which i have been doing every 4/5 hours at 15-20ml. I took him back again yesterday as there was no improvement, and they did the same injections and told me to carry on syringe feeds.
I am going back again this evening.
I have managed to get him to eat just a few strands of hay himself, and just now he had a tiny bit of cranberry juice, but still not particularly interested in food or water. i did manage to get some pro biotic into him also. He has done a few incredibly tiny poops, so i guess thats a slow improvement

He's now getting very stressed at being fiddled with and syringe fed, i feel so helpless, i just don't know what to do to get him eating himself, any ideas anyone?

Thanks, Laura

Last edited:
I'd recommend you ask for some metaclopramide and zantac to assist with him getting his stomach kick started also, if he has major head tilt, did the vet check the ears, to ensure its not an inner ear infection, rather than decidign it was EC? He may need abx if he does have an infection.

thank you, will ask about those.
The head tilt was only mild and seems to have stopped now, hes been having the panacur for only 3 days yet, would this have made a difference so fast? The vet did check his ears and said there was no infection that she could see. I am seeing a different vet this evening so will ask him to double check.

I'd recommend you ask for some metaclopramide and zantac to assist with him getting his stomach kick started also, if he has major head tilt, did the vet check the ears, to ensure its not an inner ear infection, rather than decidign it was EC? He may need abx if he does have an infection.

I've always had metaclopramide if Doughnut hasn't eaten. I would go back and if you aren't happy with the treatment go to a rabbit savvy vet who will do a thorough check. When Doughnut was in pain due to gas and wouldn't eat anything within an hour of having metaclopramide she was begging for her pellets again.

I've always had metaclopramide if Doughnut hasn't eaten. I would go back and if you aren't happy with the treatment go to a rabbit savvy vet who will do a thorough check. When Doughnut was in pain due to gas and wouldn't eat anything within an hour of having metaclopramide she was begging for her pellets again.

Thanks, i will definitely ask about this, my vets are better than most in the area, so am pretty confident in them. I have just seen a thread on peppermint tea, so will give that a go too.

great, thanks for that info Jane.

well, we have some new information, Oscars left eye started bulging out yesterday afternoon, The vet said it would indicate an abscess behind the eye which explains the slight head tilt, he said we could carry on with the baytril, but its a slim chance that it would improve as he seems to be getting worse, he said i really need to think about quality of life at this stage, as his tummy doesnt seem to be improving and sounded more gurgly than before. He is still not interested in food and syringe feeding is becoming a struggle for him, he seems reluctant to swallow now too, whereas swallowing wasn't a problem yesterday.

I am going back to the vets tonight, i said i would think about him being pts, and see how he is today. I was thinking about the possibility of the eye being removed so the abscess could be drained, but with him not eating either, its probably not an option for surgery.
Its so difficult, hes only 2, i really don't want him to suffer, but i don't want to give up on him too soon either. :(

Last edited:
Thinking of you xx

Just wanted to add, gurgling tummy is a good sign - it shows its moving, what you don't want in a rabbit is a completely silent tummy - silence means its stopped.

xx

Poor boy :cry: Maybe he needs a higher dose or a stronger type of pain relief? My first bun has his eye removed due to an abscess/tumour behind it, and he recovered well. Sending lots of vibes for Oscar xx

Please don't let the vet suggest the only option is pts. Could you talk to him and ask him to try metronidazole instead of Baytril' possible even in combination with Depocillin if it is an abscess.

As already mentioned, stronger pain relief might also help.

Sorry this has to be brief but it is very late in this part of the world. Maybe some others might be able to discuss the benefits of these abx.

thankyou all for your comments, i will ask the vet about his options again tonight. i will keep you informed.:wave:

well, i saw a different vet this evening, i asked about removing the eye, but she said in the state his tummy is in, he wouldnt survive the anaesthetic.
So more jabs today and another appointment for tomorrow evening.

Hi all.
We took Oscar back to the vets again last night, he had made no progress at all and had lost even more weight despite the syringe feeding and after 5 days of trying, the decision was made that it was kinder to put him to sleep. As the vet left us to say our goodbyes and get the consent form, he had a major fit and let out the most horrible scream, the vet rushed him off but said he was gone before she was able to give him the gas.
He was with his wife Roo right up until the end, he just wanted to be with her.
I feel so awful. :(:cry:

You poor thing that's awful, you tried so hard to make him better.

Although nothing I say will help, I'm thinking of you x

Back