• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help

sammy4586

Young Bun
Hello,

I am new to this site but have been told my someone that everyone on here is extremley nice and helpful :)

I've had my bunnies Rambo and Milo since they were babies, they are now 4 and a half. Sadly Milo was taken ill and with 2 days fighting for his life he sadly passed away on Sunday. I'm heart broken. However im worried about Rambo because they have never been apart. I've read a few things online that he needed to spend time with the body etc, but because Milo was already at the vets he never had the chance to do this.

He seems fine in himself, hes eating and drinking normally and is still after attention which i have been giving him a lot of, but he hasn't really come out of his cage. If i encourage him to come out he will hop around to where Milo used to sit and then go back in to his cage. I have put a cuddly toy in his cage which he has taken too with grooming it, but i feel like i am not doing enough.

Is there anything else i can do? Has anyone else been in this situation

Sammy xx

He's just probably wondering where is partner has gone if he didn't get to say goodbye :( bunnys do grieve as mine did when she lost her partner but my bunny also stopped eating , just keep a eye on your bunny that he/she keeps eating and drinking etc I waited till my bunny was better and got her another friend from the rescue centre and she's been good since but ill never forget my lovely little Dudley xx

Sorry to hear about Milo :(

Whenever my buns have lost partners they have become really depressed and some went into gut stasis. They got much better once I found a suitable new partner for them. Bunnies do grieve, it's really sad to watch.

Is Rambo castrated? If so, once things have settled and you feel ready, you could look into getting him a friend from a rescue :love:

Thankyou

Thank you for your advice

These are my first bunnies so I just want to do the best by them. He is eating and Drinking like normal, so I will give it a couple of months and introduce him to a new friend. I just feel guilty when I think of getting another bunny because I feel like im just replacing Milo, but i have to think of Rambo xx

The new bunny will never replace the one you lost but he/she will have a whole personality of their own which will find its way into your heart.

I had a hard time last year and lost several of my babies. I didn't feel at all ready for any more but one of my boys wouldn't bond with any of my existing groups. Along came Sapphire purely becuase it was best for Comet, but it wasn't long before I was as head over heels for her as he was.

I still miss my bridge buns and think of them everyday but it does get easier.

Is he outdoors? Without the body heat of his friend he may get cold, so I'd put a Snugglesafe in with him. I'm sure he would appreciate a new friend when you're ready. I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Milo xx

The new bunny will never replace the one you lost but he/she will have a whole personality of their own which will find its way into your heart.

I had a hard time last year and lost several of my babies. I didn't feel at all ready for any more but one of my boys wouldn't bond with any of my existing groups. Along came Sapphire purely becuase it was best for Comet, but it wasn't long before I was as head over heels for her as he was.

Thank you

Im just finding it difficult because this is first pet i have ever lost. He really was my baby. But your right, no other bunny can replace Milo but i can love another one. I think i will give it a while til i have come to terms with my grief then i will introduce a new bunny to Rambo. He seems to be coping better than me haha xx

Is he outdoors? Without the body heat of his friend he may get cold, so I'd put a Snugglesafe in with him. I'm sure he would appreciate a new friend when you're ready. I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Milo xx

Thankyou :)

They're indoor bunnies; only stay outside in the summer. I think he seems more lonely at night because Milo used to venture upstairs and sleep under my bed during the day whereas Rambo tends to chill in his cage or living room x

I'm sorry you lost Milo. :(
The sooner you give Rambo a female friend (providing Rambo is castrated) the better. It is my experience that rabbits get bored on their own. I'm sure he will be back to normal when his new friend arrives.

Back