• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binky.. misformed spine+vertebral collapse. Great UD 84 June 2014

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:cry::cry: Don't know what it is yet, the vets are trying to find out.

He's very quite, nibbling (he's normally very greedy), they've put him on Tramadol as he's unhappy.

I rushed him there late yesterday afternoon for what I thought was abdominal pain, he was constantly doing flops and stretching, he looked in so much pain I just took him straight there instead of trying to work out if it was belly ache.

Last night's x-ray showed normal digestive function but he has arthritis in his spine :cry: I'm now wondering if he jarred himself when doing a binky (I was cleaning out the dark part of his hutch and he was being exuberant in the open part), I did hear a thud but thought nothing much of it. He normally comes and assists me taking the old bedding out but he didn't, then I realised he was not right. I was asked if he has been quiet recently and I said I didn't think so but the more I chew over it he probably has been but I put it down to the cold and dark.

I'll get more news later but I'm guessing an indoor home is going to suit him better, I know what cold does to arthritis as my hip can be agony. I think in spirit he's an outdoor kind of guy but I may have to reconsider.

Any vibes for a good prognosis and nothing too serious would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you know when you will hear anything ?

I have to ring at 4pm, if there's anything major to report before then they will ring me. They may be re-X-raying/scanning him etc, just generally gathering info based on anything they want to pursue from what they find, I suppose maybe blood tests etc.

I have to ring at 4pm, if there's anything major to report before then they will ring me. They may be re-X-raying/scanning him etc, just generally gathering info based on anything they want to pursue from what they find, I suppose maybe blood tests etc.

Best of luck. Its so stressful having to wait to find out what could be wrong. Hope it is something that can be helped fairly easily.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

The only news this evening is that he is more comfortable and taking syringe feeds well... not eating enough on his own then :cry::cry::cry:

Edit to add: The vet I spoke to this morning did say that it's not neurological so at least that's one worry less.

Last edited:
Bink Bink has eaten well over night and is quite bright.

We had a discussion about whether or not he was coming home today, though he's well enough, Ruth didn't want for him to be just okay then there being a risk of him being unwell again and need to go back but was happy for him to go if I was. On discussion if I did get him it would either be before work where I would stick him back in his hutch and dash off to work, or pick him up at 6.00 pm and at about 7.00 pm stick him outside in the cold and dark... so he's staying in for another 24 hours monitoring and I'm most likely collecting him at about 10am tomorrow.

As nothing else (other than the evidence on x-ray) can be found it is being assumed that it was pain from his arthritis *possibly* from jarring himself. He was doing the pain behaviour shortly after being admitted so Ruth got to see it for herself. He could have been trying to make his spine more comfortable, his abdominal muscles felt tense which does tie in with this theory. Time will tell but there is nothing else to find.

Thanksies for the good wishes.

I missed this yesterday but I'm glad Binky is brighter in himself and hopefully he'll be ok to come home tomorrow as planned. :love::love:

Thanks again for the good wishes.

Binky is home, it's difficult to tell how well he feels because he's been making sure he ignores me since he got back :roll: He went pretty quickly into the private bit of the hutch, he had been stressed on the journey so I left him to it. After about 20 minutes I had a peek at him and he was eating hay very enthusiastically :love: He's been snuggled up to the heat pad pretty much ever since. He would normally come for a treat, he even rattles at the bars if you are out and about and not paying attention to him. He hasn't shown interest in treats even when I'm trying hard to get his attention - I'm interpreting this as "not accepting gifts from the enemy" :roll: He obviously doesn't realise I supplied the hay as well.

He really will see me as the enemy as, even though I'd started him on a diet before all this the need for him to lose weight has become more of an issue so no pellets for a while :(

I'm still in a dilemma about moving him indoors, I will need to get rid of furniture but that's not a problem. Maybe move him in until about May time would be a positive thing.

Back