• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed female suddenly stinks of urine all the time

MrsBinky

Warren Scout
Hi all,

We've got two buns, our female is a spayed 5yr old Lionhead.
She's had E.cuniculi before (she had it pre-being a rescue bun) and a few spots of GI stasis in the last few years, so she's not the healthiest but aside from those problems there's nothing wrong with her.
She & our Boy Bun are still behaving normally (although if you look at my history, he had a spot of 'not being himself' just before Christmas).

In the last 2 weeks our cage has gone from being changed once every 2-3 days to smelling so bad it almost needs changing twice a day.
We scrubbed out the cage & all the houses/litter bits and the smell was still there, no changes to diet/exercise amount, water is changed daily etc.

Her being a lionhead we gave her a tip upside down a few days ago & she had a small amount of matting on her back feet (she's normally a very well heeled/groomed lady), which we cut off carefully (it really stank of urine) so we thought we got the problem.

However today she still reeks.
Looking at the 'wee corner' (they destroyed their litter tray) when she's just been, there is no change to the colour/consistency/amount she's urinating & her poos are still textbook.
She doesn't feel any different.

So, why has she suddenly started smelling like Stig of the dump?!
We've called the vets, they're happy for us to come in now & see the other vet (one who said to us the most he knows about rabbits is 'how good they go in a pot!'), but our fab bun vet isn't back until Thursday.

Possibly she has a UTI perhaps, and so is having accidents/cant control it, but it could be so many other things.

I would not go and see this vet you mention, but i wonder, if its a possibility for you to get to Maidstone, Kent? It's only ~30 minutes from you (i know, my Nan used to live in Sidcup, near Blackfen, my parents live just up the road from Maidstone, its a quick jump down the A20/M20) and if you could, perhaps see if you can see Mark at Trinity Vets (www.trinityvets.co.uk) as he is awesome.

Given the history of EC I would want to take renal issues into account. EC can cause kidney damage. Renal insufficiency can cause a strong uraemic smell from the mouth as well as the urine.

I don't suppose the vets you mention is Sidcup veterinary centre is it?

I'm another one who goes to Trinity, I used to go to Sidcup but after several issues I decided my rabbits needed someone who knew what they were doing, not a lottery as to which vet I would see, even the good ones didn't seem to be there for longer than a few weeks. My friend recently had a run in with them too and now also goes to Trinity. I'm not far down the road (Swanley) and it takes us about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the vet recommendations & good wishes for her.

We've booked her in for Friday (earliest husband is about to drive her down).
Oddly since I posed this morning she seems alot better, gave her a truckload of parsley today & the smell is gone, so will be keeping a close eye on her over the next few days.

Back