• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit has his own room now and not sure he's happy...input welcome

Rufusb

New Kit
Our lop eared rabbit is lucky enough to have his own room.

2.5 metres by 2.3 metres, put some short cord carpet down for him and his cage in the corner and tunnels, various level seating areas and hidy holes etc

He gets shut in there at night and during the day, he's out for an hour when we get ready for work in the morning and let out again when we get in from work at 4.30pm until our bed time, circa 10 pm.

Yesterday he was out and had the run of the house all day as we were in all day, but the majority of the time he is happy to stay in his room and sit there and not really venture out unless we tmpt him downstairs with carrots or herbs.

Is he just being a grumpy rabbit or getting bored?

Also Im fairly confident that room like that is big enough for one rabbit?

All input welcome, long term the plan is too get him some female company in about a fortnight having had him 'done' about 3 weeks ago.

He sounds bored and lonely, to me.

Yes, that room is certainly ample for 2 bunnies.

I'd suggest you begin the process of contacting a local rescue, or one of the rescues on RU (www.rabbitrehome.org.uk) and find a friend for your furry friend :)

I think he's bored. Imagine sitting on your own in a room all day with little interaction from anyone?

Good you are getting a companion, He would be so much happier. For now, you need to make things more stimulating. Switch his toys/furniture round every day, and maybe give him his pellets in a treat ball. :wave:

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, he sounds bored. If you're going to have a single house rabbit it's best to keep him in a room of the house with lots of people and opportunities for interaction. Either that or get him a wife like you plan to!

Thanks guys, it just kinda confirming what I suspected.

Ill get a treat ball, he doesnt really ever seem interested in chewing toys when we buy them for him, so at a bit of a loss with those.

Ive had a look through the enrichment thread so will have a go at some of those.

I have got really attached the the little guy to be honest and want him to be happy.

Last edited:
Ill get a treat ball, he doesnt really ever seem interested in chewing toys when we buy them for him, so at a bit of a loss with those.

I don't buy mine any toys anymore. used to until I found out they had WAY more fun with a carton box. :lol:

Rufus as he is known, loves toilet rolls. Holds them in his mouth and waves them round like a wand.

Thanks guys, it just kinda confirming what I suspected.

Ive had a look through the enrichment thread so will have a go at some of those.

I have got really attached the the little guy to be honest and want him to be happy.

Peter loves his treat ball! He's in our spare room and its laminate flooring and you can hear him rolling it around! There's a toy called something like teach and treat? I'm hoping to get him one soon :)

Back