• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet insurance for rabbits

janhm69

Young Bun
Hi, I was wondering what folks thought about taking out pet insurance for buns. At the moment I do not have it and just pay for vet treatment when needed. I have heard that some insurances will not cover the whole life of the pet and do the premiums go up as the animals get older?? Do most people insure their rabbits out there and what if you have a few buns? Not sure if it would be best to do it having just had a £200 vet bill for treatment!?!

It's a sensible idea to insurance your rabbits in case they need emergency treatment and you can't afford the bills.

Some people have insurance and some just put some money away each month.

I have Pet Plan insurance and they have been pretty good so far although the excess has started sneak up a bit. I pay £22 for two buns.

It's nice to have some opinions, thank you!

At the moment, I have been putting an amount of money aside each month. My buns have their own savings account! What worries me though would be if one was 'hospitalised' as my vet said that this could cost as much as £1000! Which is a lot. I was looking at Pet Plan myself. I think I will do it then.

At the moment, I have been putting an amount of money aside each month. My buns have their own savings account! What worries me though would be if one was 'hospitalised' as my vet said that this could cost as much as £1000! Which is a lot. I was looking at Pet Plan myself. I think I will do it then.

I have all ten of mine insured and in the last couple of years I've actually claimed more than I've paid in premiums even though I am paying out over £1000 a year in premiums! It cost about £900 for one who had surgery for a blockage which realistically any rabbit could suffer. I personally wouldn't own a rabbit that didn't have insurance (if they were insurable) after all the experience I've had over the last few years.

Yes, it is the prospect of a huge bill that probably prompts people to insure. I use PetPlan, but I know some other folk use P@Home insurance. What you want is an insured for life policy.

I just did it! Thanks for the thoughts on this.

I just did the PetPlan rabbit plan for my buns so I hope that will be ok. Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts folks, much appreciated. Jan :wave:

I just did the PetPlan rabbit plan for my buns so I hope that will be ok. Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts folks, much appreciated. Jan :wave:

That was quick work! :thumb: You can never be sure, of course, but don't think you'll regret it.

I have my two bunnies and cat insured with Pets at home. I had a claim for Cookie last year which was settled very quickly. :wave:

Back