• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best cleaning product?

lone_cat

New Kit
I fetched my rabbit to live with me at University and before he got used to his litter tray again he wee'd in various places on the carpet.

I've used this stain and odour remover from Pets At Home but it hasn't worked.

I'm worried about getting my deposit back when I leave and wondering if I should try something from the supermarket like Cillit Bang or Vanish but I'm not sure if those products are safe to use for my bun.

Anyone tried and tested any products?

I would honestly get a professional carpet cleaner in. I tried cleaning carpets myself after foster dogs peed on the floor and the stains made by my cleaning attempts were far far worse than the stains left by the dogs.
A professional carpet cleaner got the dog stains out no problem, the ones that I made won't ever go away :oops:
I tried a whole host of carpet cleaners by the way, so it's not just that I had a dodgy one!

If the bun still has accidents out of the tray I'd buy some cheap rugs to put down.

ETA: if you want to have a go yourself then I'd use plain water for stains, allow it to soak in a bit then mop up as much as you can, or if it's smells that are the problem try sprinkling some bicarbonate of soda over the area and hoovering up a couple of days later. Neither of those things should do any damage to your carpets and are perfectly safe for the bun too.

Sorry, you had put it in I hadn't read the post so well!

To clear a smell you could use bicarbonate of soda. Put a good amount on and rub it in to the carpet, leave for a few hours then Hoover it up. The bicarbonate of soda absorbs the smell.

If the carpet is wool or predominately wool I have used a solution of lux soap flakes for removing household stains.

I've always used white vinegar, but on some stubborn stains that wouldn't come out, I used a carpet cleaner. You could borrow a friends or you can rent RugDoctors from Morrisons.

eta- I've used Vanish and some similar stuff from poundland for areas that you can't see or that don't matter, but wouldn't use them on pale carpet or in obvious places as you tend to get an obvious dirt ring around the area you've cleaned.

Last edited:
Buddy go for professional cleaners or do steaming to clean that stain, and separate your buns house so that they won't dirt your carpets anymore. You can clean carpet stair treads by steaming and vacuuming after a period interval of 2- 3 days.:wave:

Last edited:
Back