• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first evere rescue resident! -hammy

Rosie-Lil

Alpha Buck
On another note this is also my first post in this section:wave:

Today I collected my first rescue. I have been considering this for a long time and I've now decided to start a small scale hamster rescue so I can help out all the little hams who literally have no where to go. There are so few hammy rescues in the country and I actually don't know of one dedicated to hamsters anywhere near my area. He's a roborovski hamster whom I've named Stan. I saw an ad on preloved from a desperate lady looking to rehome her hamster for £5 with the cage, I contacted her stating that I would like to take him with the view to eventually rehoming and would ask that she gave him to me for free along with the cage. I don't want to leave people with empty cages incase they see another 'cute' fury. The lady stated that she couldn't tame him and was told he was a Syrian who would grow bigger by a woman who was selling him as her 5 year old son was scared of him. She never intended on getting a dwarf and was scared of losing him. She has a Syrian hamster who is in size appropriate caging so if I'm honest I'm inclined to believe her, she seems to care a great deal and made no issue of giving me the cage and accessories. It turns out actually that she lived down my street, it was fate!

His cage was awful and even the previous owner admitted this, it's going into storage as a travel cage. It's about 3 times smaller than his new home.

image_zps7b038f64.jpg

This is his new setup, a 64L storage bin from the range which is roughly 80x40cm. I've had to make a temporary lid until I can get the supplies to mesh the front. He has a buried tunnel, flying saucer wheel, a house and a few chew toys. I've filled the substrate 15cm deep and he loves it! I've barely seen him all day

image_zps81cacb70.jpg

Full view lengthways.

I don't have any great pics as he's still nervous and is enjoying burrowing too much, you can just see his little face in his tunnel though.

image_zps1692c287.jpg

Back