• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine leakage - updated

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all
I wondered if you could help me please? We have two rabbits..Noel and Milly. Noel has suspected Ec and had a bad episode in December 2011 where he had completely lost his balance. Both bunnies have suffered with stasis a few times too. After being told Noel probably has Ec we have regularly panacured both of them every 3 months. In December 2012 Noel was off colour, seemed a bit wobbly too so we took him to the vets and vet thought he had an infection so gave him anti biotics and also said to panacur him which we did for 9 days as he picked up. Now, today I've just got home to find a dark coloured small urine puddle in their cage. It looks more like leakage. Should I panacur them both for 28 days? The problem is Noel was only panacured for 9 days 6 weeks ago and I don't know which rabbit it was. They are both eating and are lively. Any advice would be welcome. I don't want to take them to the vet because they get very stressed. Thank you.

Last edited:
Continuous short courses of Panacur can do more harm than good in that it can lead to the Rabbit becoming resistant to it

The 'leakage' if that is what it is, could be due to a UTI. In which case Panacur will be useless

First you need to establish which Rabbit is 'leaking' and then try to find out why. So if it is more than a 'one off' occurrence and/or you have ongoing concerns the best thing to do is consult your Vet. There is no point in giving Panacur unless you know what the problem actually is and which Rabbit has it.

I had this problem with Blue. Turned out he had UTI and a bladder sludge build up. He had to go to the vets to have his bladder flushed. Since then all the buns have been on filtered water (we have VERY hard water here) and we haven't had a problem.

Definately take them to the vet...they should be able to expess a little wee and see which bun and what the problem is.

Bluesmum, how did you find out Blue had bladder sludge? Did Blue need an X-ray? My little Simba is booked in for an X-ray on Monday and I'm so worried about him.

Hi all,

I took a urine sample to the vet and it came back with nothing so our vet thinks it is his EC :(

This morning Noel was not himself. His eyes were half open and although eating he would not get excited for food. He was also sneezing, as was Milly. I've started to Panacur him and also gave him some Seprum (vet gave it to us in case we suspect he has an infection). How many graduations should I give Noel? When he had full blown symptoms of EC (loss of balance) then we had to give him 2 graduations. Not sure what to do now? Should I also continue with the anti biotics for a couple of days? He seems a bit better tonight but not quite right still.

What should we do about treating Milly also? Should she have a 28 day course or a preventative course?

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Love my little Noel and lovely Milly.

Thank you,

L x

Back