• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella seems seriously ill update choked but ok now

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Im obviously going to get her to the vet but in the mean time

Bella has laboured breathing her nose is in the air and she has loads of fluid coming out her nose and mouth, she's never had snuffles before!!!

What should I do with her she is distressed in the shed, out the shed in the garden back in the shed!

Should I bring her in or leave her out???

Any ideas what could be the matter?

Last edited:
I have phoned the vet but it's Sunday I am waiting for the emergency vet to call me back

Ok well she is looking less frantic and does not have fluid streaming out! I found a bit of chewed up plastic in the garden so I wonder if that was it! She is still snuffling though and I'm still waiting for the vet to call

Ok well she is looking less frantic and does not have fluid streaming out! I found a bit of chewed up plastic in the garden so I wonder if that was it! She is still snuffling though and I'm still waiting for the vet to call

It is 100% essential that the Vet EXAMINES her so if they suggest 'just keeping an eye on her' you need to INSIST that she is seen

Although she may seem to be recovering there is a HUGE risk that she has aspirated something. This could lead to aspiration pneumonia which is usually fatal

I cannot emphaise strongly enough the importance of a FULL examination by a Vet within the next few hours

Good luck

I have an appointment

She is now happily munching grass on the lawn! I think she had got the plastic from eating her way into a bag of redigrass!

I hope she is OK.

My bun had this when he choked on a pellet. Although he recovered totally after about an hour, he was on antibiotics for 10 days after to lessen his risk of aspiration pneumonia.

I agree with Jane, when parsley choked he got a covering antibiotic and painkiller, as his airways would have been bruised, metacam was good as it anti inflam too.
Hope bells recovers quickly xx

Thanks she seems ok now she's just eaten pellets

I want to bring her in and give her lots of nose rubs but she doesn't like to be indoors when it's cold out, I guess the heating is too much!

The fluid is awful isn't it? :(

I was using loads of kitchen roll to wipe it, and it just kept on coming :(

Yes very scary I wish I had thought about choking earlier although I'm still not sure what I could have done, she is quite difficult to handle!

I think its pretty terrible they told you to wait for a call back and an appointment when your rabbit was choking.

If my rabbit was choking I would be ringing the vet to let them know I was on my way, not waiting for an appointment! Choking is an obvious emergency, it's not like it needs a vet to decide whether it's an emergency or not. If I were you, I'd be very unhappy that you weren't told to bring her in straight away - after all, if she hadn't dislodged it herself, she would have died.

Yes that's very true I was a bit miffed! The emergancy vet was out on a house visit and appologised when she called me and was very helpful, I don't know who I spoke to that first answered the emergancy line, he was pretty clueless I even had to spell the name of my village which was strange as they have a branch there!!!

oh my gosh how scary :( Hope she gets better x

Has there been a thread on what to do with a choking rabbit? I wouldn't have a clue :shock:

oh my gosh how scary :( Hope she gets better x

Has there been a thread on what to do with a choking rabbit? I wouldn't have a clue :shock:

No I was clueless but there is a thread stickied at the top of this page :)

Back