• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please tell me about your mini lops

lillylau

Warren Scout
Could you please tell me about your mini lops ? what were your ones like ? what health problems did you meet ? thanks

Poppy is a mini lop. Friendly, placid, confident easy to handle little girly. She does however suffer from awful dental disease & has cost me an absolute fortune in vet bills (over £4000 in less than 3 years).

I have two, neutered brother and neutered sister, they are two this year and haven't had any dental problems yet or anything like that and i've 'owned' them since 3 weeks old, even when they were at the breeders. the brother did have EC and was on medication from 5 weeks until 5 months of age, but he is fine now and has no headtilt. We are keeping an eye on Roo (sister)'s teeth as the vet has said they have teeny spurs on but nothing near enough for a dental! they also weigh in at 1.3 and 1.5kg last time I weighed them :wave:

the sister is a flighty, determined and bossy little madam! the brother is a goofy fluffball who does whatever, whenever, and sleeps a lot :lol:

Last edited:
I have had 3! Lovely little sweetiepies! :love: I lost Trixie to bloat (my fault), my Tallulah to an accident, and I've still got my Domino! :love: Domino can be grumpy, but is a big softy at heart! ;) :love:

I'm not entirely sure mine is a minilop as he's grown so much he may be a small dwarf...

However his temperament is perfect. He's a gorgeous friendly boy with just an edge of stubbornness. He's not yet 6 months old and has had one bout of GI stasis which cost £160, but I don't think this was breed-related but rather he seems very sensitive to starch in pellets. He was worth every penny though!

With both mini and dwarf lops you really have to watch for dental problems like Janey has said. My last dwarf had to be pts due to complications from a tooth abscess. He had an absolutely flat face though, so the ones with flat faces and very small heads are particularly prone I think. My vet said they see more problems in these 'fancy' rabbits than ones with a healthier shape.

I would recommend them though they are lovely little things! So small, cute and loppy....:love::love::love:

Mischa was my heart bunny, I really, really miss him and we totally clicked together. He loved his fuss and so does Mini. He was a very human orientated bunny whereas Mini isn't quite so much but they both always have loved their food. If you want a bunny who enjoys human company then mini lops seem to be very much like that although obviously not all mini lops are the same.

As for health issues Mischa had a continuing issue with ear infections (exacerbated by my ignorance early on), Mini has so far been fine and she's six this summer. They do have a tendency to have dental issues due to face shape, Mischa had a couple of dentals due to lopsidedness from his ear infections but Mini has always been very healthy, apart from dysbiosis (also called sticky bum), but we sorted that out with her diet.

I'll always love mini lops, despite the apparent health issues with dental and ears.

I have clover, i have absolutely NO problems with her, shes friendly (bit me once but thats because my little brother had really been annoying her before i interviened) shes isnt spayed but i do plan on it after i have bought poppys new hutch before hers falls apart. Eats hay like a trooper and has no dental problems she loves cuddles but isnt fond of getting picked up but once shes up she will snuggle into you and she loves lyong in bed with me haha!

Blousy is a horror! bossy, stroppy, greedy, nosey, destructive, terratorial and very much the leader of the trio..

yet she is funny, can be sweet, very pretty, funny and intelligent, though everything is totally on her terms.

i have had no health issues with her as yet (touches wood frantically!)
i wouldn't change a thing about her. :love:

matthew - sweet natured (until he sees charles), cuddlebun. occasional slow gut, especially when moulting.
tabitha - feisty little madam. eats everything. can't get her slimmed down to a reasonable size. no other health problems yet, except those caused by her traumatic spay.
charles - soppy little bunbun - loves a cuddle. has had treatment twice for a sore eye.
cecile - no health issues yet.

all six and a half years old.

Bridget and Mr Darcy are 6 months old both neutered at 16 weeks together no problems recovered within 5 days- they are very cute very nosey they investigate everything they are super friendly

they were both very easy to litter train you wont find a bumble anywhere else except a couple that get kicked out of the tray...they have fabulous little charactors ...fantastic brilliant... a joy!

Chester my bridge bun was a real character! He would respond to his name being called or whistled in the same two syllable tone, and would come scampering down the stairs or out from wherever he was hiding when I called him. He would sit on my baby bump when I was pregnant with no prompting. His usual spot was on the arm of the chair next to me. When I had my son, Chester lost all interest in my belly and went back to the arm of the chair.

He was a dental bun, and would have to go under GA every 6/8 or so weeks. I was unaware of tips to make him eat more hay, there certainly was not the choice there is these days, so that could well have been a contributing factor. He had a recurring abcess at the base of his lop on one ear. I have always wondered if it was where he crashed into the patio door (my fault :( ) not sure why he died in the end, or if either of those were a cause. I miss him so much.

Back