• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My animal enclosures - crested gecko

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I've going on a spring clean at the moment and planning a few enclosure re-vamps and upgrades for a few of my animals so thought I'd post here as I went along. :D

Tonight my two green toads had their tank cleaned out and some silk plants added to increase the cover. Although they are amphibians green toads actually hail from quite dry climates but it's important they have fresh clean water available at all times.

The larger the body of water the easier it is to keep it clean. ;) They have a small filter designed for fish tanks in the water area, this ensures any ammonia resulting from pee or poo is broken down and does not linger in the water. Amphibians are very sensitive to pollution as they absorb so much through their skin. We made the water area by sealing a piece of glass into place using aquarium sealant. This is a 3' fish tank.

In the land area I use an organic peat free compost that the toads like to burrow in.

IMG_0800_zps405fac90.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsb521651d.jpg

The lads
IMG_0787_zps036954a5.jpg

Jerry on his own
IMG_0812_zps7a0cf9fc.jpg

Jeemy wonders if he should go for a swim
IMG_0817_zps79b73def.jpg

and wonders some more
IMG_0818_zps91930d13.jpg

and quickly decided that no.... he did not want to go for a swim
IMG_0820_zps135dd08c.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh lovely :love: Will your millipedes be including in these set ups maybe? I am looking into getting one after loving the ones at college and would be interesting to see your set ups if that's ok? :wave:

Isla's glass viv, it's 30" and is heated by a heat pad attached to a thermostat which is underneath the viv. She has a hide at the cool and warm end of the viv and a branch wrapped in silk plant to climb in (not that she does, lazy git).

IMG_0825_zps936fe6b1.jpg

IMG_0822_zpsc79da87e.jpg

Oscar has a larger viv which is 36" and he has a ceramic heater which is my preference for snake tanks as they warm up the air rather than just the bottom of the viv. Oscar also has two hides one at each end of the viv with silk plants and a climbing branch which I've never seen him use. Oscar also has a tube to hide in, Isla did have a whisky tube too but she pooped on it so we had to throw it out.

IMG_0838_zps51199c9d.jpg

IMG_0836_zps64ea4d4b.jpg

:love: Your toads! Miss my fire bellied toads but at that point I just didn't have time for them. But I sold them to a lovely person who put them into a tank with more of them and they even had baby fire bellied toads! :love::love:

Bandit is a crested gecko and is a rainforest animal so needs plenty of space to climb about, his vivarium is 2'(l)x2'(h)x1'(d) and has organic peat free compost in the bottom and several live plants. He also has a heat pad at the back in case he gets cold but the species is used to cooler temps and he won't need it in the summer.

IMG_1468_zps12e14fc3.jpg

The man himself
IMG_1476_zps8320f2c4.jpg

IMG_1488_zps131113e1.jpg

Crunchie can you pm me with where you got your viv for your crested gecko? :wave:
And prices and how to care for them properly?
I have a friend that has one, kept in an abismally small tank and I'm trying to educate.
Also how and what do you feed, do you dust them with calcium etc.
And what wattage is the heat lamp, ho often do they need it etc.

I may potentially end up getting this gecko passed onto me :roll:
So it's helpful to know you have them too :)

I love the potted plants!!! Such a good idea!!

Back