• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit?

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
So, my 4ish year old rabbit is booked in for a spay a week on wednesday, and im trying super hard to persuade my mum that we should get another bun for my Misty to live with, I'll be converting the shed into a bunny house when the weather picks up, and wondered whether it made a difference if the buck was neutered or not? seeing as she would be spayed so there'd be no babies. I've seen a few on the rspca website that I'd love to give a forever home too, and there's a particular one thats already had the chop, but the others havent :/ and I'd like to be able to take my bunny along to meet the other buns, to see which one was the best option, would they allow this? I dont want to put my bun in the shed yet, until ive decided whether to get another, because I want the shed to be neutral territory? Advice or personal experience on this?

Definitely a neutered buck. She might not be hormonal but an unneutered male would be and would be trying to hump her all the time!

Plus entire bucks spray smelly urine everywhere and don't use litter trays as well as neutered ones.

I've never had any luck with 2 females so can't really help there, but it is usually agreed that a male:female pair is best :)

I've set my heart on a gorgeous one from the rspca :) I convinced my mum to have one rabbit, im sure i can convince her again :)

It's thought to be slightly more difficult, but can and does work. Your girl will need to have been done for at least six weeks before taking her on any dates, but you should be able to take her in, yes. They may want her to be vaccinated though.

I have two spayed females together fine - although they are sisters and have always been together. The have the odd squabble but nothing major - touch wood!

BUT I believe male female pairing are easier to manage. I suggest you stop looking for now - she is going to need at least a month recuperation after the operation and you don't want to fall in love with a bun who you can't get just yet and someone else takes him :)

Back