• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when you feel so down

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
and no matter how much you care and the best of care you give your buns and things hit you like a brick wall, yet people get rabbits on whim, neglect them in small hutch and they never have anything wrong happen to them :cry: feel like i can;t handle anymore pets in future, the heart ache of seeiing them poorly, the thought of them on borrowed time, too soon when they only young and should have a long life with me to enjoy and those that have lost already young :cry: what have i done wrong in life, and why do those who neglect never suffer in the way that those who love do

I totally agree with you Hun I'm fed up of going to the vets with mine if its not one it's the other now 2 of mine had fallen out I won't be getting anymore after these 4 it's too upsetting on top of every thing else were going thru :cry:

I can make no sense of it either Lisa :cry:

The only thing I try to do is think like a Rabbit. What would I prefer, 8-10 years stuck alone in a 3ft hutch day in day out. Having food and water chucked in once a day

Or a year of a life of luxury. Companionship, warmth, lots of good quality food, toys, everything I could possibly need.

If I were a Rabbit I know which one I would chose, quality of life over quantity every time.

But for us it is just so unfair :cry: We do absolutely everything possible to try to keep our Rabbits well. Then fate strikes a cruel blow and snatches them away far too soon :cry:

I am sorry you are feeling so upset. The neglected rabbits will suffer sooner or later and if they are neglected they are already suffering really. Loving something always brings us pain at times but we get over it and love again. I know it's sad, sorry.

**hugs** it may seem that way but I genuinely think that the reason people who don't care as much seem to have hardier rabbits is that they don't care enough to notice when something is wrong with their bunnies.

hi ml1. i'm sorry you're sad. you put a lot into looking after your bunnies, as you do into everything you do, the riding, the gardening... whatever is going wrong, it isn't you. xx
i think jane's point is a good one.

Sending hugs.

There is no real answer to the question, but unfortunately life just isn't fair sometimes. :(

We can all only do our best for our bunnies, and enjoy each day we have them.

I totally agree all of mine have been ill (except coco fingers crossed) winston was a metacam bunny with bad feet because someone wouldnt clean his cage out that someone being a 'rescue' never got help for him sdo he came to us with blistered feet and later in life his hips went due to bwalking funny. Angel had mouth disease and although her teeth were getting better (she went from 12month, 6 month, 3month, 4 weeks then 3 weeks and had sjust went back up to 6 weeks dentals) her eye became infected which spread to her lungs (she went year with her dentals an they were finally getting better then that.
Jack has now been officially diagnosed with spondoylosis and has now started his metacam. 3rd of mine to be on it.
Our vet bills in 7 years are now at £15,000 we aren't rich I work 60 hours when i need to pay vet bills which seems like allm the time.
It just seems unfair haven't they suffered enough can they not live the rest of there life happy pain free?
My otherhalf thinks like jane and says yeah but wouldn't they rather be here for a little time then stuck with njo happiness at all but then i say yeah but they wouldnt be in pain if they werent with me.
Our old vet always said they had to come to you otherwise who else would have gave them the chance they had. In a way truthfully many would have gave up on mine and certainly not spent £150 every 3 weeks on dentals so it was meant to be. I hope that the others dont suffer but truthfully they probably are its just there owners dont care!
Big smile and hugs to you from all of us

I can make no sense of it either Lisa :cry:

The only thing I try to do is think like a Rabbit. What would I prefer, 8-10 years stuck alone in a 3ft hutch day in day out. Having food and water chucked in once a day

Or a year of a life of luxury. Companionship, warmth, lots of good quality food, toys, everything I could possibly need.

If I were a Rabbit I know which one I would chose, quality of life over quantity every time.

But for us it is just so unfair :cry: We do absolutely everything possible to try to keep our Rabbits well. Then fate strikes a cruel blow and snatches them away far too soon :cry:

yes i totally agree x

No it doesn't seem fair. I know what you mean and it really gets me down too. I've had so many episodes of stasis with my bunnies, but I can never pin down a reason for it. I watch them all like a hawk, sometimes to the point of obsession, I know exactly what each one eats, I am so very very careful with what I feed them, yet I seem to be blighted with stasis problems. Yet there are some poor neglected bunnies, who are fed absolute rubbish and not properly cared for, but they never seem to suffer tummy problems. It just doesn't seem right.

You are a fantastic bunny owner and your bunnies have the very best, which is as much as any of us can ever do.

Sending a big hug. xxx

It's not anything you are doing or not doing, hun. This is our world. We live in it the best we possibly can with the cards we are dealt...but I empathize with feeling like the jokers are winning all the hands! :(
Your bunnies ARE happy and they know LOVE with you.
Every second is precious. For bunnies especially those seconds seem to go by all too quickly. For them perhaps the time seems longer or they don't notice it like we do. They truly live in the moment.

Snuggle your babies. They love you. You love them. This is what is important. (((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) I'm sorry it sounds so glib, I have been where you are though and have had to come to the realization also that it is the best I can do to love them with all my heart, care for them with all my strength and accept that they have the limits they do for no particular reason.

Thinking of you. xx

I'm so sorry Lisa. :( You know that you are not doing anything wrong. Sometimes, the problems are genetic and no matter how much you care for your animals, you can't help them.

and no matter how much you care and the best of care you give your buns and things hit you like a brick wall, yet people get rabbits on whim, neglect them in small hutch and they never have anything wrong happen to them :cry: feel like i can;t handle anymore pets in future, the heart ache of seeiing them poorly, the thought of them on borrowed time, too soon when they only young and should have a long life with me to enjoy and those that have lost already young :cry: what have i done wrong in life, and why do those who neglect never suffer in the way that those who love do

that is what i've been thinking. my friend has bunnies who are not neutered don't have hay and don't have as big a home as mine and hers lived til they were 7 at least and my Bee died before his 2nd birthday. I tried so hard and he had his forever home i just don't understand. And now I'm scared of it happening again

all I can say is that great friendships risk immense losses.we all know that a day of friendship and happiness is worth years mourning for it.

It is so unfair isn't it :( I lost one bunny at around a year old despite good diet, lots of hay, vacc's neutered etc and a visit to the vets the second I noticed he wasn't himself, both my current ones got cutaneous myxy despite being vacc'd, Marble has an allergic reaction to RearGuard so I can't protect him from flystrike, and Lola has been diagnosed with high blood calcium although she is on a good diet. Sometimes it feels like you're just waiting for the next thing to go wrong! I guess like everyone has said maybe those poor neglected buns have illnesses, just ones that they survive with for years. At the end of the day I would rather my pets had quality of life than quantity

I agree with Jane about the quality of life and that you notice right off when something is wrong so it might only seem like they are less healthy than others.
Another thing is maybe subconsciously you or a grater being is choosing a certain type of bunny with health problems because with you they have a better chance at a great life.

I find it all too painful to think about. I don't understand but can only assume it is the way people are brought up and with many people it is disregard or lack of care for animals. We see it in every country all over the world, with animals, birds, fish and insects that are becoming instinct or have become instinct. It would seem on balance that there are much more people who don't care or turn a blind eye, compared to people who care and fight on for animal rights.

Sadly the world is a cruel place.

Does anyone else ever think its something to do with more knowledge and being on a forum? Honestly, everyone I know who has rabbits who are not on forums, the rabbits live in a small hutch, not neutered, vaccinated, and live with entire companions, but hardly ever have fallings out. They live the longest!

Yet after being on a forum, we know that way isn't right, yet its always the people on forums who try the hardest who have horrid things who happen to their bunnies :( I sometimes wonder if we over worry and it makes them ill.

Back