• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D Tuesday. Dental over. Lots of sores in Cutie-pies mouth.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
She seems interested in eating, sniffs and tries to pick up but then ignoring food. Have tried all her favourites. My gut instinct, but I could be totally wrong is a dental issue.

I phoned the emergency vets and if it is dental they are not equiped to do anything, which I suspected.

I have unopened CC and Loxicom 1.5 mg/ml. Vet suggested 0.7 to give her. It looks like an awful lot, does this sound right ? He said to give it an hour, if still not interested to try syringe feeding.

Last edited:
How much does CP weigh ?

She can have up to 0.4ml/kg/24 hours of the Loxicom you have

When did she last poo ?

If she has not poo'd today then really I would be wary of syringe feeding her anything but water without a full abdominal examination to check for any indication of obstruction and/or a very distended stomach.

How much does CP weigh ?

She can have up to 0.4ml/kg/24 hours of the Loxicom you have

When did she last poo ?

If she has not poo'd today then really I would be wary of syringe feeding her anything but water without a full abdominal examination to check for any indication of obstruction and/or a very distended stomach.

She is about 2.25 kilos.

No idea about poo, there is a huge amount, there always is with the two of them.

The vet, the French one I think, said wait for an hour. I haven't syringe fed anything yet and I won't I will tempt her at 4 pm, but James and I have agreed if she is still not interested we will take her in. I think I will leave her there if its dental and hopefully they can transfer her on Monday.

I will take Bandit too. She is such a stressed out bunny when handled and freaked out when I gave her the pain killer. She HATES travelling, so hoping she will eat at 4 pm. Her tummy felt fine but I am not sure what to really feel for. She seems fairly normal except for not eating.

She is about 2.25 kilos.

No idea about poo, there is a huge amount, there always is with the two of them.

The vet, the French one I think, said wait for an hour. I haven't syringe fed anything yet and I won't I will tempt her at 4 pm, but James and I have agreed if she is still not interested we will take her in. I think I will leave her there if its dental and hopefully they can transfer her on Monday.

I will take Bandit too. She is such a stressed out bunny when handled and freaked out when I gave her the pain killer. She HATES travelling, so hoping she will eat at 4 pm. Her tummy felt fine but I am not sure what to really feel for. She seems fairly normal except for not eating.

It does sound to be Dental related then. Has she had teeth issues before ?

Oh and 0.7ml of the Loxicom is fine xx

It does sound to be Dental related then. Has she had teeth issues before ?

Oh and 0.7ml of the Loxicom is fine xx

Thanks.

Yes she had a dental about 18 months ago or so, when she was spayed and they are not great, never will be. When she has a check up they are not good but not bad enough to have a dental, so I would not be surprised. I feel like I have been waiting for this to happen for a long time.

Problem is neither of them like eating in front of me, so it took me 20 minutes to make sure she wasn't eating by shutting the door and having to go away and come back and spy on her. I am certain now she isn't eating. She seemed keen on a carrot but didn't want it. Bandit scoffed it.

My rabbits have stopped eating on three occasions - Hettie twice and Ginger once. When it happened with Hettie, we took her straight to the vet both times and she was given gut stimulant and Critical Care formula for syringe-feeding. When it happened with Ginger, he already had an appointment booked that afternoon for a different reason so I just started syringe-feeding. On all three occasions, they started eating hay again after about three hours and were absolutely fine after that. I never found out what had caused them to stop eating (with Hettie the second time, the vet thought it was a dental issue but it turned out not to be).
I think the most important thing is to act as quickly as possible. Personally I'd always be inclined to try syringe feeding very small amount straight away to try getting their gut moving (I keep a packet of Critical Care formula just in case), and generally get them to the vet as soon as possible to be checked out.
It's so scary when your rabbit shows no interest in food, but with mine it never turned out to be anything serious (although it would have become so if we hadn't acted quickly). Good luck and I really hope Cutie Pie is okay!

Sending loads of vibes for Cutie-pie. I hope it's nothing serious.

I think the most important thing is to act as quickly as possible. Personally I'd always be inclined to try syringe feeding very small amount straight away to try getting their gut moving (I keep a packet of Critical Care formula just in case), and generally get them to the vet as soon as possible to be checked out.

It depends why they have stopped eating as to the best course of action. If there is a possibility that it's a blockage then syringe feeding can be very dangerous as it can make things much worse. Unless you can be sure it's not a blockage then it's usually best to let a vet rule that out before syringe feeding.

Sending loads of vibes for Cutie-pie. I hope it's nothing serious.

It depends why they have stopped eating as to the best course of action. If there is a possibility that it's a blockage then syringe feeding can be very dangerous as it can make things much worse. Unless you can be sure it's not a blockage then it's usually best to let a vet rule that out before syringe feeding.

Ditto

Syringe feeding an obstructed Rabbit could have tragic consequences :cry:

Thanks everyone. When I saw Janes reply I didn't syringe feed.

Cutie-pie is staying at the emergency vets. Again Bandit couldn't stay, last time it was Mr Bennett who wasn't allowed to stay, I did try and argue it.

The vets checked her stomach, felt soft and normal and checked her teeth. No obvious problem. There is a little wetness around both eyes and the only other sign was a lower then normal temperature, which he said could be dehydration. He said whatever the problem is, I have brought her in early. Cutie-pie still seemed fine in herself, other than not eating. Her weight is the same, 20 grams heavier than last time.

He is going to give her gut stimulant, baytril and other type of pain killer as she has had loxicom and they will syringe feed her.

He seems more knowledgeable then the other usual vet but said she is old and near the end of her life. I wasn't too pleased with that and said I have had older rabbits. Anyway he said they will do everything they can for her.

:cry: Really upset, vets phoned a few minutes ago, I thought I was going to be sick. :cry:

Cutie-pie is so nervous and scared they have put in a special corner. :cry: My poor girl.

No poo, not eaten. I wasn't worried before, now I am really worried.

Back