• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks - suitable flooring ideas please

clarebear

Mama Doe
Help needed please! Bramble has poorly hocks from being indoors on laminate flooring. One obviously exploded overnight, I couldn't believe how much blood there was, so whizzed him to the vets and he is on Bayrill and has cream. Feel like such a bad bunny Mummy.....
Any suggestions on more suitable flooring please? :(

Vet bed/profleece. I haven't bought any in awhile, but used to be able to get it off the roll from a bloke on ebay.

Go into the health section and have a look at my set up I have for angel and bailey, im on my phone so can't link.
Deep bed of hay, in a ferplast cage and fleeces on the ground and keep nails nice and short.
Hope bun will be ok.
Is he on metacam? Angels hocks are nowhere near as bad as that and she's on metacam.
It really helps as I imagine it mist be like walking on horrible blisters.

I have Megazorb litter over the floor of the hutch, with a thick layer of hay. In the run, I have foam matting with thick layer of hay on top.

Indoors, I would use foam matting, with some areas of thick hay so he has somewhere very soft to sit. Or foam matting covered with vetbed.

I had exactly the same problem with Moley I could see the skin on his hocks and was very concerned it would start to blister, so I got some spare carpet we had and an old fleece throw along with a layer of hay and his hocks look great. I have to be careful with him because I have now noticed that he sits right back on his hocks and walks on them a lot so I think he will always have problems, but he is a giant breed and they tend to be prone to sore hocks.
f53d9203132768d3ade7be522dae8013.jpg

We have three sets of sore feet rabbits (two pairs of giants and one of rexes) living in stables deep bedded with chopped straw horse bedding. I keep the worst of them on penicillin long term to keep infection at bay. Gaia accepted having her foot bandadged for a while but then learned she could rip it off:( It doesn't go away on the deep bedding but it doesn't get worse either. If the roof didn't leak and drip from condensation we might be more sucessful getting them better:? Damp bedding isn't ideal:( But its better than outside.

Back