• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

netherland dwarf rabbits

lillylau

Warren Scout
I am looking into getting 2 netherland rabbits but I am a first time rabbit owner would this breed be ok if any one has any experience please advise me.

I've got nethies and they are lunatics. Most are not happy being handled. Most are very independent (and mine will give a sharp nip to tell me if I'm getting something wrong). Most are energetic. Most are likely to have a predisposition to expensive health issues (predominantly dental).

If you are looking for good first time owner rabbits, you're best off going to a resuce that spays, neuters and bonds, and explain that you want two 'good to go' bunnies for a first time owner and they will match the right personality to what your needs are. If you try and get a specific breed you could end up with two complicated bunnies that don't suit your personalities.

They tend to be very highly strung and hyperactive. We think Nutmeg is half netherland dwarf and she can be, well, difficult.

I've got nethies and they are lunatics. Most are not happy being handled. Most are very independent (and mine will give a sharp nip to tell me if I'm getting something wrong). Most are energetic. Most are likely to have a predisposition to expensive health issues (predominantly dental).

If you are looking for good first time owner rabbits, you're best off going to a resuce that spays, neuters and bonds, and explain that you want two 'good to go' bunnies for a first time owner and they will match the right personality to what your needs are. If you try and get a specific breed you could end up with two complicated bunnies that don't suit your personalities.

:thumb:

they are so cute! i would like a couple myself...

i have mini lops they are very sweet ....

My first rabbit as an adult was a Netherland dwarf. He had no health problems what so ever but he was very hyper. He binkied,ran and hopped onto everything. He could jump supper high. He was very demanding of attention and he loved to be picked up and snuggled. He was definitely the boss of our house hold though.

I think my Chloe is a Nethie or nethie cross...she has been the most timid and skittish bunny I have ever had...it has taken 4 years to get her to the point where she will let me stroke her. The most docile bunny I've had has to be my dwarf lop Pebs.. but all buns have different personalities. I always thought that lionheads were supposed to be difficult, but my Poppy is the only bun I've had that likes to be cuddled!. I'd suggest going to a rescue and have a look round, and a chat to see which bonded pair would suit you...

My Chrissy is a nethie and she is lovely-she likes being stroked, cuddled, she is very gentle and sweet, crazy as well:)
Yet I agree for the dental issues-Chrissy is a bun that needs her teeth burred twice a year and she had a front teeth extraction.

I guess there's no "perfect" breed. If you decide on Nethies, make sure they get plenty of hay and things to chew, as well as place to run and burn energy daily :)

Ive 8 Netherland Dwarfs and 1 Nethie cross all rescue bunnies and I love them, but like all little animals they can have an attitude but I think that's why I love them so much :)

Ive 8 Netherland Dwarfs and 1 Nethie cross all rescue bunnies and I love them, but like all little animals they can have an attitude but I think that's why I love them so much :)

Totally agree. I have 10 nethies, and they are all feisty, independent, they know their mind, some love strokes and they LOVE fun. They are luscious, but they are completely different from, say, my loppy trio, who are also cheeky, know no fear, but also love pick up cuddles.

Mine is a right little madam! She doesn't like being stroked, she bites and stamps her foot when she is hungry and she is VERY demanding.
I wouldn't have her any other way though she has SO much character for a little bunny!

But like the previous posts I'd say go to a rescue and meet some rabbits I think it's more about personality than breed.
I've had 2 nethie a now both with teeth problems but then if you went for another breed you could never guarantee they would be healthy either!

Oh I so love Nutmeg because of her character, while she can be a stroppy so and so she can also be incredibly sweet and is usually the first on my bed in the morning. But I still think she would be difficult for a new owner.

We're pretty sure Mylo is part nethie and, like most others, she is a right little madam! To be fair, we think it's mostly due to her being alone as when she was with Barnaby she calmed right down. Not entirely sure how we'd cope with 2 nethies though! :shock::lol: I will admit, for our first rabbit she is a handful but I couldn't imagine being without her now :love:

I have had a couple of Nethies with completely different personalities. I LOVE them though. I would agree with the person who suggested going to a rescue and explaining your situation and asking their advice to the best in rescue for you.

Joey, my first nethie, passed away in May at the grand age of11. He weighed 850g and lived with a 6500g frenchie.
I loved him to bits....such a little bun with such a big attitude. Fortunately he had good health until he was 10. He would allow me to fuss him but I always had to remember that he when he decided enough was enough he would nip.

Borage is my other nethie with the tiniest ears, but he only loves his partner. He looks at me with disgust if I try to interfere with him or his wife.

Very cute rabbits, but very prone to dental issues. Unless you get some via rescue where their history is known, I would agree that a pair that are good to go is your best option!

i've had 4 nethies (still got 2 of them) all quite different.
my first Eli made me fall in love with the breed, he was so loving and snuggly and yet funny with wonderful character.
Maisie was virtually feral! she never stopped, was into everything and was very independant and not very sociable but she was lovely and great to watch!

i still have Buddy and Lula, Bud is chilled, very relaxed and sweet. lula is quiet, nosey and also a sweetie. they are easy to catch if i need to handle them (but try not to unless i have to as they do just tolerate it really!)

i have a mini lop in with them as well, Blousy is bossy, stroppy, hard to get near and rules the roost! i have had 8 rabbits in total and 2 fosters.
i haven't had any major health problems with the nethies but i know they can be prone to dental issues.

like the others say, look into rescues first as they are ready to go. its great you are doing your research and asking the right questions before you decide.
lots of luck, keep us updated and keep asking any questions if you have any. :D

Back